Vinyl Liner Fading around returns?

GinaNC

Jul 6, 2019
NC Piedmont
We have a 16x32 inground vinyl pool built in summer 2019...so, its been in operation for about 18 months (opened July 4, 2019). Our builder convinced us to try the Oxygen System. He gave us his word that if it didn't work for us he would install a SWG or we could just have it removed and change to chlorine. Also, I'm very new to pool ownership/operation. He's a local builder that has been around 20+ years and was highly recommended.

Summer 2019 I depended on the pool store (same family ownership as builder) to help with water chemistry. Every couple weeks they had us trying something different to address constant water issues (mostly slight green tint, slimy feeling on liner). The system was new to them as well. Alone, the system does not keep the water clean. Lots of trial and error.

Summer 2020, after reading a lot here, I decided to get the Taylor 2006C kit and test my own water. I keep the free chlorine around 2. Our TA and PH tend to get low and I adjust with borax/baking soda (keeping them around 80/7.4 respectively. I use the Pool Math app. But, I have not done anything w/ the hardness. It's a little overwhelming, lol. I shock w/ a non-chlorine shock about every other week (potassium monopersulfate -- his advice). Since I started the above method, our water has been sparkling clean.

We do not cover our pool for the winter and run the pump daily. In December we noticed our liner fading significantly but ONLY around two returns. Let me add, we have five returns and two drains. The Oxygen System treated water runs through three of the returns, the other two returns send water that has NOT gone through the Oxygen System. These are the two returns w/ fading around them. I hope that makes sense.

We are waiting for the builder to come out and have been for a month. Any idea what could cause the fading? Liner manufacturing? Installation/building/plumbing? Water chemistry? I'm trying to get my game plan together. I can't imagine the chemistry could cause this kind of fading in such a short time. Thoughts? THANK YOU if you got this far. I'm trying to including a picture of one of the returns that is faded.

Attachments

• pool fading.jpg
    pool fading.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 21
Yes to tabs, in the skimmer basket.
Are you sure that the returns with fading actually have water coming out of them?

I suspect that the returns with fading are tied to the bottom of the skimmers as an equalizer line.

If the pump is off while the tabs sit in the skimmer, the chlorine will go through the lines and cause the problems you see.

You can verify if the lines go to the skimmer by putting a garden hose in the bottom skimmer holes and then feeling for water flow from the returns when the hose is on.

Most likely, the front skimmer hole closest to the pool will be the equalizer hole.

Last edited:
Thank you! So my husband and I turned pump off, put garden hose in the bottom hole of the skimmer and turned the hose on full blast. We felt no water coming through any of the returns (Brrrrrrr). Let me add, the line coming out of the filter has a T on it. One side has the Oxygen system on it and leads to three returns (all on the right side of the pool nearest to the pump/filter). The other side of the T (with no other hardware) leads to the two other returns (w/ fading, on the left side of the pool, furthest from the pump/filter, and closest to the skimmer.) This is what the builder told us. The Oxygen system creates little bubbles coming out of the returns. There are bubbles coming from the returns on the right side of the pool, but not on the left. This was intentional on his part. Make sense?

Do the two returns with fading have water coming out that you can actually feel?

The skimmer should have two holes; did you try the garden hose in both holes?

How long does the pump stay off while tabs are in the skimmer basket?

Do you have a tab feeder?

Do you have a picture of the system?

Do you have a better picture of the returns with fading?

Last edited:
Thank you again!

Yes, I can feel water coming out of the returns.
Well, there are two holes. One is plugged.
We run the pump 24 hours:confused: low speed right now -- I know not necessary. Again, what they told us to do. It adds very little to our power bill.
We don't have a tab feeder. They told us to put tab in skimmer basket. Here are more pictures. The third picture is before. Forgot to mention we have a U/V light...something else we fell for. Did I say Thank you??pool fading 2.jpgpool fading.jpgpool no fading.jpgpool system.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.