Vinyl Liner damage converting from Bacq to Chlorine ?

Apr 2, 2017
Salem VA
Potential Vinyl liner damage if converting from Bacquacil to Chlorine in 20 yr liner ? Liner appears in very good shape after all these yrs using Bacquacil . Dont want to start problem where none exists on liner, but typical baqua issues have me thinking of change . Holding at 15 ppms FC until residual baqua is gone sounds pretty hot, potentially damaging ? Generally when I open in the spring I shock with only 2 gallons of Liquid Chlorine , residual Bacqua may be as low as 2ppms . I do that to help fast kill any algae water mold present. Usually turns water yellow for about 2days then cloudy then as it clears and chlorine is used up . I shock with hydro peroxide this process takes about a week to get very clear water. Sand filter does load up often with Baquacil and dull water does happen occasionally . Mustard algae does also appear after hottest part of the season . Considering the cost of more frequent liner replacement what have you saved in costs if thats the primary even secondary reason to convert to labor intensive ( my opinion) monitoring of of a chlorinated pool ? I can let Bacquacil pool go for days without testing and residual is still in specs. Still a season or two with chlorine may be the way for me . Just my thoughts . To me the liner is key here

Well..... most folks on TFP who monitor their pools probably 2x week never have algae, mustard algae, white mold, cloudy water, dull water, etc.

If it works so well for you, that's great. Folks usually are coming here looking to get off that Bacqua Merry-go-Round.

20 years is an exceptionally long run for a vinyl liner.

Well..... most folks on TFP who monitor their pools probably 2x week never have algae, mustard algae, white mold, cloudy water, dull water, etc.

If it works so well for you, that's great. Folks usually are coming here looking to get off that Bacqua Merry-go-Round.

20 years is an exceptionally long run for a vinyl liner.

Thank you for your speedy reply. 2 x s testing a week is not too bad ! I may wait to convert when a new liner is installed ,just in case . In my humble opinion I have seen the damage chlorine misuse /or overuse can do to vinyl . If the stability of 1 to 3 ppms can be reasonably maintained with out constant slamming as you call it > It could be advantageous . that leads me to ask how often, generally at peak season heat and pool useage do you Slam and what are the ppms when you do ? Can you tell me as close as possible what your amount of Chlorine and type you use per season ;All liquid 8% 11%? And total season cost >? Any trichlor ? My ig is 19000gal. How many liners have you personally gone through ? BTW I'm not advocating the use of any product but weighing the pros and cons of any sanitiizing system.. 1. Maintenance is my primary concern ,labor. 2. Cost and water quality equal , but if balanced and not perfectly crystal clear ( a bit dull) but effectively sanitized .I'm a happy camper . That said, this site has given me a great resource for choice. I will keep it in mind for the future
Regards , Music Man

I've never once needed to SLAM my pool. I've never once in five years had less than sparkly clear water. I've never seen algae in my pool.

I have a salt water chlorine generator. It makes its own chlorine from the salt in the pool. The salt level in the pool is aprox 3,000ppm, whereas the ocean is 35,000.

I buy new reagents once a year, and aprox 6 jugs of bleach a year to use when I want to top off or augment my SWG's production, such as before or after a kids party. Oh yeah, I have a jug of Muriatic Acid for very occasional use...its two years old if that tells you how often I have to use it.

The cost of my pool chemicals (any salt needed, bleach and reagents for testing) run NO MORE than $100/year.

I've never used Trichlor or Dichlor in my pool. Only the SWG and occasional bleach. I bought some CYA last year that is still half full for this year to top mine off with.

Did I hit all your questioins? If not....just holler back.

Yippee :flower:

Never had a need to SLAM. Not with any pool well over ten years now, fourth season with the IG. It simply isnt needed in a well maintained pool. And over the last year, Ive been far more lax than usual.

Vinyl liners that got damaged had it happen because the users didn't understand how to use Chlorine properly.

If you do decide to convert, remember that adding bleach, acid, and all other chemicals is a responsibility and should be done following expert advice here to make sure your equipment and liner are protected during additions. Pouring a bottle of bleach takes a uneducated rookie 12 seconds, but takes an expert much longer because they care about the pool and read pool school which tells you how long it should take. If you ask all your questions, have the right test kit, read all the pages, and take your time - there is no reason to fear what countless others have done. Final thought - if a new liner would be a big financial burden for you - perhaps you should start putting money aside for it right now, since while yours could last another 20 years, it might also not, and to have at least some money set aside for it could make the day yours goes exciting and fun rather than stressful and sad.

And seriously, congratulations on that liner. Very cool. Clearly you took good care of it already, but as you point out, you could be going in a new direction, hence my thoughts. Only meant to help, not at all meant to insult. I'm going to bed now :) Posting while tired...so silly of me.

I can tell you're still on the fence so rather than trying to sell you I'd like to share,

We used Baquacil for almost 15 years before switching. Our last liner was on year 13 with zero issues before switching to chlorine. Two years after switching the thing tore requiring a new liner. I know, great salesman I am! Thing is, our neighbors who had the liner put in before us has been using chlorine the entire time and has yet to have any issues. They're now on season 15 I believe while we had to start over.

Regardless if you convert now or wait I would HIGHLY suggest looking at liners now as you're on the tail end. I would suggest starting with the same brand/manufacture you've got now as you got a good one!

Now, pros verses cons......
The list of pros for chlorine in my experience is HUGE with the largest being the price and water clarity. We're now spending about $500 less per year, doing less work, and enjoying a far better swim. :) As for a pro for Baqua......well truth be told, I always did enjoy how my fingers turned white from taking the foil off the top of the bottles of Oxidizers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.