Very tough algae or is it scale?

jasl8r

Jun 5, 2011
Groton, MA
Hi, been following for a long time and been able to take good care of the pool for around 10 years. This year for the first time I am having a disaster opening the pool because I don't know what the issue is. I have a very tough (almost impossible) to remove algae, there are green sections, white? sections and even darker blackish dots. I thought for a bit it was black algae, but I can not scrape anything off with a finger nail to see if it smudges green. What is there almost seems more like a spilled old paint or something which has me concerned it could be scale. Never seen it before. I've been scrubbing with a stainless steel brush and that doesn't appear to make measurable progress. I suppose there _has_ been very slow progress, there are patches showing through the mess that is clearly the actual pebble finish color I'm used to. When I scrub I do see clouds of grey/white/green come up so it does seem like an algae, but not much so maybe a combination of problems.

FC: ~15
pH: 7.5
TA: 50
CH: 280
CYA: 40

pool_steps_coating.jpg
pool_spots.jpg

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Please update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. Your profile location is blank, can you update that too please? It gives us clues. Are you on a well in that area? Maybe it's iron staining. Try rubbing a Vitamin C tablet on the staining.

Looks like you at least have iron stains from the pictures (brownish stains) so do the vitamin C test suggested by Pat. I have city water too and I am fighting iron stains every year. Our city water comes from an aquifer which means everyone gets well water.

Okay, vitamin C will be my next test. I did the solid chlorine test in a spot and basically some of the green did change, but to white. Basically everything seems covered with a white film that is green with algae in places. I can't clean it with the steel brush, but I did get down and dig with a thumbnail and if I scratch away at a black pebble covered white, I can get it cleaned back to black. *Lots* of scrubbing does seem to have VERY slowly made clean patches come through, but I don't even know how I would scrub the whole pool enough to clean it if that's the solution...

So I'm pretty sure now this is a calcium scale problem after looking at more examples on the forum and some further basic testing. Things are *slowly* improving now that the ph has been in range for close to 2 weeks, but I just did a CH test and it has increased by almost 100 to 360 (of course before I knew there was an issue I added ~40ppm worth of CH). It looks like from reading through the forum a quick TA 0/Acid wash is the way to deal with this.

The CH is increasing as the calcium is releasing from the scale.
A zero TA treatment is the least damaging of the acid treatments. Up to you. You will need to drain a substantial portion of the pool water after I suspect as your CH will rise significantly. You will be dissolving both the scale and your plaster.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.