Very new at this! Trying to learn the ropes :)

Desire5292

Apr 30, 2019
Sylvan Springs, Alabama
Hi,
I just discovered TFP a few days ago while researching the best chemicals for a pool. Last year was our first full season to own a pool (bought a house with one) and I just went to a local pool store and followed instructions. Ended up spending about $1,000 for the season and still had lots of problems! I know I don't want to do that this year but I'm not sure yet what I want to do. I definitely want the most cost-effective method. I'm considering going with a salt cell generator (did I say that right?)...a family member recommended that. I'm interested in the BBB method I've heard about here as well. I'm extremely new to all this and there's so much conflicting info online. Just wondering if y'all could give me some tips on getting started, price comparison, etc? I definitely want to be more knowledgeable about this!
Thanks!
Desiré

Welcome to the forum!
The first thing you need is a proper test kit.
Order a TF-100
The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want.
I also have the Speedstir. It makes testing much easier.

Then follow the TFP methods (BBB is an old moniker and no longer used). You can eventually install a SaltWater Chlrorine Generator if you want, but first get the chemistry and maintenance well understood without one.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

And another welcome! Since you are brand new here, here is a high level article discussing Trouble Free Pool Care (TFPC), which is our up-to-date methodology of pool care. It is an improved version of what used to be referred to as BBB. What is TFPC?

Thanks! On the TF-100, do I need any of the extras? Im having a hard time following what the Speedstir is supposed to do. :) Also, I haven't uncovered my pool yet...should I just leave it covered until the test kit arrives?
No extras other than the Speedstir.

The Speedstir is a device that is battery operated. After measuring your sample into the test vial, you put a magnetic stir bar in the vial. You set the vial on the Speedstir and turn it on. The stir bar goes around and mixes the sample as you do your titration.

Except -- if you are serious about getting a SWCG - then a K1766 Salinity test kit will be needed too.

Welcome! Nice job with your sig details ;)
Hi,
I just discovered TFP a few days ago while researching the best chemicals for a pool. Last year was our first full season to own a pool (bought a house with one) and I just went to a local pool store and followed instructions. Ended up spending about $1,000 for the season and still had lots of problems!
Glad you didn't accept that as "pool owner reality" (it doesn't have to be!)
I know I don't want to do that this year but I'm not sure yet what I want to do. I definitely want the most cost-effective method. I'm considering going with a salt cell generator (did I say that right?)...a family member recommended that. I'm interested in the BBB method I've heard about here as well. I'm extremely new to all this and there's so much conflicting info online. Just wondering if y'all could give me some tips on getting started, price comparison, etc? I definitely want to be more knowledgeable about this!
So the "TFP" is the simplest/lowest cost hands-on method there likely is. The biggest initial cost is proper full test kit, & initial balancing/clearing of pool IF it's not in currently good shape, after that, it's unreal how economical & easy a truly clean clear pool is!
SWCG are like buying the chlorine "upfront", so initial cost is higher, but long term it pays for itself (and for some people, "and then some" not having to haul chlorine)
Thanks! On the TF-100, do I need any of the extras? I'm having a hard time following what the Speedstir is supposed to do. :) Also, I haven't uncovered my pool yet...should I just leave it covered until the test kit arrives?
The SpeedStir takes the "timing error" factor out of the equation.
I like to recommend the standard sampler, it's great to help you learn what your test results "should" look like, since you know what you are looking for and the CYA test has the steepest learning curve for most:) It's not impossible!

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support