Very much a newbie.

Peddy68

Apr 21, 2019
UK
Hello all.
I am totally new to all this and I hoping this forum will be a help to my ignorance. I live in the UK and have a holiday home in Bulgaria. After owning it for 13 years and spending a lot of holiday time travelling to the local pool, I have decided to take the plunge (pun intended) and start with a above ground pool until we live there permanently and install a permanent in ground one. We are only there for a few weeks in the summer so will only get two or three weeks use per year. I hope it will be a great investment and worth the effort to get it working right for that length of time. I guess time will tell.

I will need loads of advice as I can't even get passed what chemicals to buy and what order to put them in to fresh water! Every site I read and YouTube video I watch someone says something different. This is going to be harder than I think!

To make things just a little harder, the pool shops around the area do not speak much English and the writing on the chemicals are in Bulgarian so no idea on what it is, if I actually need it and what strength it is so I know how much to use. Feeling a little overwhelmed and haven't put it up yet! :)

Look forward to using your knowledge.:wave:

Welcome @Peddy68 !

I would suggest finding out what the Bulgarian word for bleach is. Using plain bleach from home cleaning products is acceptable, especially if you can't find pool liquud chlorine.
Would it be possible to order your pool supplies online and ship them to your vacation house?

Jump into pool school, there are a couple of good articles on seasonal pools, designed exactly for your situation.
The only though i have, if pool care supplies are hard to come by, you might want to treat it like a permanent pool.

Welcome @Peddy68 !

I would suggest finding out what the Bulgarian word for bleach is. Using plain bleach from home cleaning products is acceptable, especially if you can't find pool liquud chlorine.
Would it be possible to order your pool supplies online and ship them to your vacation house?

Jump into pool school, there are a couple of good articles on seasonal pools, designed exactly for your situation.
The only though i have, if pool care supplies are hard to come by, you might want to treat it like a permanent pool.
Hello Splashpad.

There are pool suppliers around, its just a matter of knowing the terminology in Bulgarian so I know I am getting the right materials. I have thought about shipping it from the UK but not sure about the chemicals being sent across Europe by carrier and even if that's cost effective.

Reactions: splashpad