Very low levels of CYA. Everything else looks ok.

Toad_stools

Bronze Supporter
Jun 17, 2020
Southern Ontario Canada.
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hey guys. First year with the pool here. I have a Taylor CK 2006 kit that I am just learning on. Readings for pH, TA, FC and combined look ok, but CYA remains low. The pool company left half a bag of stabilizer crystals last fall when the installed, so I put that in yesterday and ran the pump all night. Just tested and level still about 10. I put in about 300g of the crystals. Should I just keep adding more each day and testing until it’s up? Not sure how much to add. Pool is about 55,000L or around 15,000 gallons. Thx.

Stabilizer is slow to dissolve. It can take a few days to show in testing. Calculate your expected CYA PPM rise using PoolMath and assume what you added is there. Don’t add more too quickly or you will overshoot your target.

Reactions: BTJR
Nope, slow down a bit. It can take CYA a day or two to show up in test, so it is easy to overshoot and get it too high.

How did you add it?

Reactions: BTJR
Nope, slow down a bit. It can take CYA a day or two to show up in test, so it is easy to overshoot and get it too high.

How did you add it?
Just shook the bag around directly into the pool. I noticed last year the pool company put it in a sock and tied it into the skimmer. Is there a “best way” to put it in?

Stabilizer is a mild acid and you don’t want it sitting on the pool surface. It can stain the pool. Better to add it using a sock to keep it off pool surfaces while it dissolves.

Brush your pool a lot to move the stabilizer around while it dissolves.

Reactions: Toad_stools
It takes a while to dissolve, and you don’t want to just leave it sitting on your pool surface. I hope you’ve been brushing regularly?

Put it in a sock and hang the sock in front of a return. Squeeze it now and then to help it dissolve. I sometimes get in with it and walk around squeezing, if water is warm enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toad_stools
It takes a while to dissolve, and you don’t want to just leave it sitting on your pool surface. I hope you’ve been brushing regularly?

Pur it in a sock and hang the sock in front of a return. Squeeze it now and then to help it dissolve. I sometimes get in with it and walk around squeezing, if water is warm enough.
Alright thanks guys. Sounds like sock next time. I am going to brush now as well.

Reactions: kellyfair
Make sure you are doing the CYA test correctly as well. Outside, sun behind you, test tube at waist level, and just take a glance at the tube looking for the black dot. I was definitely doing this wrong a first.

I’ve added close to 500g of CYA granules over the past week but the levels are still reading low. Like around 20. Everything else is spot on. Water is crystal clear otherwise. Should I add more? I don’t want to overshoot.

Attachments

• 47037C78-80E0-47D8-B6B6-784A4A1C080C.jpeg
    47037C78-80E0-47D8-B6B6-784A4A1C080C.jpeg
    418.5 KB · Views: 2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
500 grams of stabilizer in a 15,000 gallon pool will only raise the CYA by 8.8.

If we are talking the same measurement units you need to add another 500 grams to get around 30.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.