Very high hardness with Diamondbrite - empty and refill the pool?

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
CYA is only in the water when we add it. Your best bet is to use the PoolMath APP (Effects of Adding Chemicals) to determine what will happen when you dose with any chemical. Good to hear you go the CYA down, but the water shouldn't just be cloudy. Watch your FC to CYA balance per the FC/CYA Chart. If the cloudiness doesn't go away, consider doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to rule-out algae.

mvoltin

Silver Supporter
Aug 1, 2016
atlanta, GA
CYA is only in the water when we add it. Your best bet is to use the PoolMath APP (Effects of Adding Chemicals) to determine what will happen when you dose with any chemical. Good to hear you go the CYA down, but the water shouldn't just be cloudy. Watch your FC to CYA balance per the FC/CYA Chart. If the cloudiness doesn't go away, consider doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to rule-out algae.

Thanks. I will add FC per Pool Math app to compensate for high CYA. The pool is not terrible - it just less "sparkly" now but this can be subjective (Attached is the image). I am still not sure why CYI go up to 70 - even Pool Math recommends 1G and 1cup based on my pool size and I added 1gallon only. CYA was added last night - hopefully, it will come down a bit.

CYA-FA chart recommends 20-30ppm for indoor pools. it says: " The reasoning for using CYA indoors is quite different. For more information please ask on the forum. "
  1. What is the reason for indoor CYA use and would my pool be considered indoor since it's completely under the waterproofed deck with no direct sun-light hitting it at any point?
  2. If yes, is the 20-30ppm range for indoors is just for non-SWCG pools? the SWCG pools would still use higher CYA indoors?

Attachments

• IMG_7249.jpg
    IMG_7249.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7248.jpg
    IMG_7248.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 14

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Since your pool is basically an indoor pool with no competing UV to deal with, you are able to maintain a lower CYA, then you can adjust your FC accordingly. Of course on the FC/CYA Chart when you look at the salt pool chart, you'll only see a recommended CYA for 70-80, but you are unique to most. Since your CYA is already increased to ~ 70 or so, just continue to keep it balanced. The CYA will drop over time either by future water exchanges or degradation. CYA can break-down by about 3-5 ppm per month.

Reactions: mvoltin

mvoltin

Silver Supporter
Aug 1, 2016
atlanta, GA
quick update: The water has stabilized and is crystal clear now. My alkalinity is slightly high at 130 but not outside the range. Have to keep high FC (7) because of high CYA (70) but that will change once I activate the SWCG next week. Virtually no TC (less than 0.5) and no FC loss over couple days - this is good news (as I understand it). Again, my pool is under deck with no direct sunlight.

Thanks again for all the help, cannot wait to have kids get in there.

P.S. I had mentioned before my set-up is unique with hybrid pool/spa set up (spa is not separate from the pool but I am able to put partition between the two and isolate circulation when I want to use just spa, otherwise, we can enjoy both spaces for swimming since there is limited space under the deck). I will post more pictures and details about the set-up once pool "opens".

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.