Goddard, KS
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Ok, so let me see if I can articulate this. We finished our pool build at the beginning of December 2018. During the dig our sewer line was found and hit by the backhoe digging the deep end of the diving pool. We were given the option to repair it as it lays under the pool and dig it deeper or to reroute it around the pool by adding three 90 degree bends. On the advice of the excavation company we went deep and under the pool. They had to trench the wall of the pool to replace the pipe they hit and we were back on track within 24 hours. No problem. Pool finished and we stared at it covered all winter. We opened the pool 3 days ago and as the water has started clearing up we discovered that the trench line is visible on the bottom of the pool where the vermiculite was laid. It goes from the steel wall to the bottom flat (about 4 feet) is about a foot wide and maybe 8 inches deep. It looks exactly like the trench did before it was back filled with dirt. The wall is intact but of course it steel backed by concrete with deck over the top. It appears that the ground was not packed in prior to the vermiculite application and now has caved in. Pool builder is coming by in the morning to check it out. Questions : anyone ever seen or dealt with this? Who should be responsible for the repair? Ugh. We were *this* close to the dream and I'm afraid of it turning into a nightmare. Thanks for listening.

WOW.. That's terrible and definitely foreseeable and preventable. That type of trench excavation should never have been backfilled with common soil. They had several options. Flowable fill, concreate, crushed stone....

Did the pool builder oversee the entire excavation and backfill, or did 'you' hire another contractor?

Reactions: Mrs.Biggs
My word of advice is to have paper and pen ready to take notes. Keep a smile on your face no matter how hard it is. Let your PB see it for his self. There is no need to talk and point. He will see it. See what he has to say and go from there. Was the work inspected by anyone from the permit office? Get EVERYTHING in writing.

This is not fun and I am sure you are very stressed by it. I sure would be BUT you have to stay calm and polite. Here is hoping he steps up and takes care of it like he should.

I will let you know they will NOT be able to reuse the liner so be ready for that. The holes will not line up right.

Mrs. B,

This is a question for our pool construction expert, I'll call him for you @bdavis466 . A photograph would be very helpful. As to who is responsible, that's dependent on your contract and exactly how this happened. Most contracts are written to be very one-way in favor of the builder. But the better builders don't want a black mark on their reputation. At the end of the day it will be a negotiation in most cases.

I hope this helps.

Chris

My word of advice is to have paper and pen ready to take notes. Keep a smile on your face no matter how hard it is. Let your PB see it for his self. There is no need to talk and point. He will see it. See what he has to say and go from there. Was the work inspected by anyone from the permit office? Get EVERYTHING in writing.

This is not fun and I am sure you are very stressed by it. I sure would be BUT you have to stay calm and polite. Here is hoping he steps up and takes care of it like he should.

I will let you know they will NOT be able to reuse the liner so be ready for that. The holes will not line up right.
I'm trying to keep a positive outlook. Our PB has seemed to take very good care of everything and us through the project and was on site nearly every day. There were permits pulled and inspections done but I'm not sure at what points although I know we had to wait a couple of times before proceeding to have an inspection completed. I'm glad to hear about the liner. That was one of hubbies first questions so I guess we know that now. How long does it take to get a new one cut and delivered? I will post pics when I get home. Thank you for the help and encouragement.

WOW.. That's terrible and definitely foreseeable and preventable. That type of trench excavation should never have been backfilled with common soil. They had several options. Flowable fill, concreate, crushed stone....

Did the pool builder oversee the entire excavation and backfill, or did 'you' hire another contractor?
Pool builder was on site nearly every day. He contracted the excavation company which is the only one he uses and was there through the entire dig.

But hubby would be likely to agree with you that the trench was not backfilled properly and now we have settling from the winter precipitation and 20k gallons of pressure.

Mrs. B,

This is a question for our pool construction expert, I'll call him for you @bdavis466 . A photograph would be very helpful. As to who is responsible, that's dependent on your contract and exactly how this happened. Most contracts are written to be very one-way in favor of the builder. But the better builders don't want a black mark on their reputation. At the end of the day it will be a negotiation in most cases.

I hope this helps.

Chris
Screenshot_20190408-062735_Chrome.jpgResized952019040795125753.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry. Looks like I posted the pics x3. Anyways this is the trench from across the pool and then looking straight down at it from the ladder.

I really don't know how long it will take to get a new liner. Is it a custom liner or was this a kit? If it were a kit it should be fast and easy to get a new liner. They might take the liner down and out then put it back in UNTIL the new liner gets there to help protect the dirt and such from washing out. I want you to be ready for anything that might happen.

It sounds like your PB is one of the good ones! Keep that in mind and you will feel better until he gets there. What time will he be there?

I really don't know how long it will take to get a new liner. Is it a custom liner or was this a kit? If it were a kit it should be fast and easy to get a new liner. They might take the liner down and out then put it back in UNTIL the new liner gets there to help protect the dirt and such from washing out. I want you to be ready for anything that might happen.

It sounds like your PB is one of the good ones! Keep that in mind and you will feel better until he gets there. What time will he be there?
I believe it was a kit but not entirely sure. It's a pretty straight forward design as far as being a rectangle with a diving board. I guess we have stadium steps with texture but those are pretty common, right? No tanning ledge or any custom add ons. I can't imagine it taking too long. Our entire build was done less than 5 weeks after signing the contract and I know he didn't order a liner before that. I'm not sure what time he's coming. I know he's working on another build about a mile up the road. Hubby is off work today so he's up and working in the yard. I'm getting ready to sleep as I am a night shifter. I'll be back on around 2pm CDT when I get up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
UPDATE: PB came by this morning and came to the same conclusion that we already had. The backfill was not done properly. He is assuming all responsibility for the error and will fix it and pay for it (Yeah!). Sooooo....here's his plan. We drain the pool. He is going to pull the liner back from the diving board side so there are no holes to realign (jets, skimmer, ladder). Refill and re-vermiculite the void, then pull the liner back to the western side and refill. Hubby shared with him our liner concerns that it won't fit back properly and he seemed to think that would only be a problem if he released an area that had been cutout which he's not planning on doing since the trench is west of the ladder. So I guess kind of peel back the southwest corner and climb under it, repair it, and then pull it back. Again, appreciate your input. Funny thing is I thought my struggles were going to be with learning the TFP chemistry. Ha!

Reactions: Arizonarob
If there are no holes in the liner where he is planning on pulling it back it COULD very well work! SWEET! A man with a plan and standing up to do the right thing!! It IS the holes that cause the reuse problems so it should all be good! :party:

Kim:kim:

Great to see you found a good PB. It is hard to see how deep below the pool excavation they went with the sewer trench but if the first Pic is what the trench looked like after the pipe was installed then the trench might not be done settling and if they simply fill on top of that type of material and compact, It might settle again. In my option to go through the time and effort to re-expose the trench, It would would be well worth the additional effort to remove the unsuitable material from the trench (dig back down to top of pipe) and refill with a suitable material and compact.

It's good to see he's stepping up to fix this. I happen to agree with rich that this may not be done. Peeling the liner back is the cheap and easy fix but it is worth a try. I would see if you can make a deal in writing that If there are any leaks he will take care of it going forward and if it settles after this season again he scraps liner and digs it up and compacts it right with proper fill and new liner. Good luck I hope it turns out in your favor

He is making an admirable gesture.

The excavation company disturbed the competent soil he was contracted to place vermiculite on.

I am optimistic he can manipulate existing material.

In the case of a liner failure, he should not be held responsible.

I like your pool builder, he could have passed the buck very easily on this- sounds like a good guy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.