Varying salt PPM readings - Pentair IC-40

lbridges

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 12, 2009
Indialantic, FL
Don't recall seeing this, and so I'm wondering if anyone has seen it.

Background: (Note: haven't yet picked up the Taylor K-1766, don't know that I will unless someone thinks it essential)

New Pentair IC-40 controlled by an Easytouch automation system (v 2.08.0), supported by the Pentair VS-3050 variable speed pump.

PB put in eleven (11) bags of pool salt - which should produce 3300PPM given they correctly estimated the pool at 16K gallons (one would hope they could produce a good volume estimate since they built it). Since there was a month of tab feeding before the salt, there should have been some number of salt equivalent in the water, but I expect the number to be low (?? less than 100 PPM ??).

Scenario:

At relatively low pump flow rates (~30 GPM) the Easytouch diagnostics reports salt at 3100PPM, at a mid-level flow rate (~50 GPM) the salt is reported at 3200PPM, and finally at around 80 GPM it reports 3300 PPM. I tried the salt test strips (acquired through the TFTestkit site) and they are reporting salt around 4000PPM.

Question(s): Anyone else seeing this? Normal?

Concern: For others having a difficult time reporting numbers for salt at their SWG, were they able to test at different flow rates (2-speed or variable-speed pumps)? Note: for my pool the difference of 3100 to 3300 PPM is roughly one whole 40lb bag of salt.

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
The salt meters in SWGs are +-400, so 3100 and 3300 are essentially the same reading. That kind of small variation really doesn't make any difference.

Trust the SWG and ignore the salt test strips, unless you have a good reason to believe that the SWG might be broken.

bk406

Dec 3, 2009
Central Massachusetts
The test strips always test high. Thats true in my hands as well as a number of others here. Like Jason said, trust the Easytouch readout. Only excepetion i would say is if you new the salt was in the 3000-3500 range and the easytouch reads really low or high (say <2200 or >4200). Thenthere may be a censor issue.

Other Threads of Interest