jptexas

Jun 11, 2022
Dallas, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Our family is new to pool ownership and we're struggling to figure it all out. We've had an all out war with algae over the past few weeks but I think my wife finally won that one. Now we seem to be battling sunlight and pump run times.

We’re burning through chlorine pretty quickly, although we’re currently at 3 ppm and we’ve been using 73% powered calcium hypochlorite on the recommendation of the local pool store to keep the levels in range; that said, we think the algae and direct sunlight has been burning it off pretty quickly. Our other chemicals are in range with the Cyanuric Acid currently a little high at 55 ppm according to the test we ran at the pool store today.

We live in North Texas where it’s been pretty hot and our pool has direct sunlight on it for just about the entire day. We have a 16,000 gallon chloriene pebletech pool with a variable speed pump, an inline chlorinator and a system that is supposed to reduce the need for chemicals with a UV Light and Oxygenator but the algae would tell me those two upcharges were pretty useless.

We’ve been running the pump schedule our pool builder told us to use in the summer: 7:00 am - 11:00 am @ 90%, 11:00 am - 3:00 pm @ 75% and 3:00 pm - 7:00 pm @ 50% - does this sound correct? We want to make sure we’re maximizing when we add the chemicals, how many/how much we use and run the pump at the optimal times based on adding chemicals, using the pool, the direct sunlight and the electricity use.

Thank you in advance!

We have a lot of Texas folks here that can offer what works.
But one thing in common is everybody will tell you ( we learned the hard way ) is to avoid pool stores and get your own test kit.
Either the Taylor 2006C or the kit they recommend here which I will
Link to. It’s really the best deal imho

Reactions: jptexas
We have a lot of Texas folks here that can offer what works.
But one thing in common is everybody will tell you ( we learned the hard way ) is to avoid pool stores and get your own test kit.
Either the Taylor 2006C or the kit they recommend here which I will
Link to. It’s really the best deal imho

Thank you @markayash !

Welcome JP!

You have some problems, but we can help. You don't have a circulation problem. You have algae and the only way to get rid of it by following the SLAM Process. No amount of circulation will kill algae. Using cal-hypo and tablets in Texas is not sustainable. The UV and oxygen systems are nearly worthless (as you've found out). Your pool needs a liquid diet of chlorine or a salt water chlorine generator (SWG).

Get your test kit ordered, as recommended by Mark. Add 5 ppm of liquid chlorine daily until your test kit arrives. PoolMath will help you figure out the amount. When you get your kit, post results and we will develop a plan to get you swimming. Avoid pool store testing, algaecides and magic potions.

Please let us know if you need help getting though the first few steps. Spend some time in Pool School learning the basics. Here's a good set of topics to get you started...

Last edited:
Welcome JP!

You have some problems, but we can help. You don't have a circulation problem. You have algae and the only way to get rid of it by following the SLAM Process. No amount of circulation will kill algae. Using cal-hypo and tablets in Texas is not sustainable. The UV and oxygen systems are nearly worthless (as you've found out). Your pool needs a liquid diet of chlorine or a salt water chlorine generator (SWG).

Get your test kit ordered, as recommended by Mark. Add 5 ppm of liquid chlorine daily until your test kit arrives. PoolMath will help you figure out the amount. When you get your kit, post results and we will develop a plan to get you swimming. Avoid pool store testing, algaecides and magic potions.

Please let us know if you need help getting though the first few steps. Spend some time in Pool School learning the basics. Here's a good set of topics to get you started...

Thanks so much @Rancho Cost-a-Lotta! On a side note, I used to go to your neck of the woods way back in 2000/2001; I hear it's changed a little over the years.

We've had an all out war with algae over the past few weeks but I think my wife finally won that one.
Don't declare victory until you know for sure. You need a proper test kit.

battling sunlight
Your primary problem is chemistry. Part of that is a proper amount of CYA to protect your FC from the sun.

inline chlorinator a UV Light and Oxygenator
All of those are not recommended. You are an excellent candidate for a SWG. Liquid chlorine and a SWG are the two sustainable ways of chlorinating your pool.

We’ve been running the pump schedule our pool builder told us to use
Run your pump for a purpose (chlorinate, skim, filter, circulate). You have a VSP, so run it at the lowest speed that achieves your purpose. For my pool, I operate my pump at 1,000 rpm 24/7, which uses around 75 watts. That equates to ~$6/month in electricity. I like the non-stop skimming, chlorinating, filtering, and circulation. Each pool is different. Find what works for you.

jp,

The idea that your pump speed has anything to do with you having algae is just total Bull Feathers. :mrgreen:

You have algae simply because you are not keeping your FC (chlorine) and Stabilizer (CYA) in the proper relationship.

It is really just that dirt simple!!!

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: jptexas and proavia
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.