cgminton

May 17, 2022
Dripping Springs, TX
We are at the end of the pool building process, the pool is fully functioning except for the auto-filler and heater (can’t use until plaster cures.) We have 3 water shears that look great at the highest speed of the variable pump, but when it cycles to the lower speeds one of the sheers loses the pressure needed to emit a continuous sheet of water. It still works, just not the way it should. The builder says he has tried to program the pump to stay at the higher speeds, but he says a chip in the pump always eventually overrides his programming and it goes back to cycling through all speeds. He is now saying that he has ordered a fixed speed pump and will replace the variable speed one to solve the problem. Is he correct? From what I understand, our setup is (1) 2 hp pump for the pool, (1) 2 hp pump for the water sheers, (1) 2 hp pump for the infinity catch basin, and (1) 3/4 hp booster pump. I’m attaching a pic of the system.

Attachments

• E58383FC-08B8-48D8-B5EB-AB52F44A9BC0.jpeg
    E58383FC-08B8-48D8-B5EB-AB52F44A9BC0.jpeg
    751.8 KB · Views: 22
I see Pentair equipment but Jandy automation. Is that correct? If so, why?

Fill out your signature when you have a minute.

For connected equipment (automation, pump, SWG, heater, etc.), it should be from the same manufacturer so that everything communicates correctly and you can use the equipment without limitations. Since you have Pentair equipment, you should have Pentair automation (IntelliCenter is recommended).

For connected equipment (automation, pump, SWG, heater, etc.), it should be from the same manufacturer so that everything communicates correctly and you can use the equipment without limitations. Since you have Pentair equipment, you should have Pentair automation (IntelliCenter is recommended).
PB responded that Jandy automation is compatible with Pentair. I found this confirmation on another pool info page. manufacture

Attachments

• E4A62BD3-2325-4A99-B4F7-9753FD321AC9.jpeg
    E4A62BD3-2325-4A99-B4F7-9753FD321AC9.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 4
The builder says he has tried to program the pump to stay at the higher speeds, but he says a chip in the pump always eventually overrides his programming and it goes back to cycling through all speeds. He is now saying that he has ordered a fixed speed pump and will replace the variable speed one to solve the problem. Is he correct?

From what I can make out you have two Pentair SuperFlo VS pumps at either end which I think are 1½ HP.

Pentair VS pumps are meant to be powered all the time and connected to automation with RS-485 or digital inputs.

Do you know if your PB has them wired up this way, or are they powered from a relay in the Aqualink controller?

If they have them setup with a relay to power the pump, then the speeds are programmed at the pump control panel.

The Superflo only has 1 scheduled start time with up to 3 different speeds of varying duration that run consecutively.

I don't see why it can't be programmed to maintain a single speed, as long as it's programmed right - see video below:

Last edited:
PB responded that Jandy automation is compatible with Pentair.
Yes, it will run several Pentair pumps. However, it simply doesn't make sense to have Jandy automation with all your other equipment being Pentair. If you want to take full advantage of seamless integration and features available, stay with the same manufacturer. Automation systems work best when the same brand is used because then the pieces can "talk" to each other.

I see Pentair pumps and heater in the picture. Do you have a SWG? Lights? Valve actuators?

Is this an unusual setup? We are depending on our builder’s expertise in this area, we don’t know anything about pool automation. Is there a problem that we need to address with him?
My experience is that your PB is correct about them being compatible. I have iAquaLink/Aqualink RS and otherwise everything (except SWG; see below) is Pentair. It works fine. Totally compatible. Original pump was constant speed Whisperflo. Just replaced it with new Intelliflo on the AquaLink RS-485 control bus. No issues either way. Spa and pool mode valve controls. Mastertemp heater, lights, deck jets, and pressure-side cleaner all fine.

There's a quirk where the Intelliflo trips its breaker about once a month, but that seems independent. Others with Pentaire automation have reported the same.

The exception: the SWG is Jandy AquaPure. Afaics that's necessary. No other SWG I've seen except the the Chinese Jandy clones will integrate. Not being able to adjust the SWG with the AquaLink app would be a real pain.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.