Valve Problem

Phillip D

Nov 6, 2019
Alabama
I have a GVA-24 that is controlled by an EasyTouch 4. The valve is set to turn one way in pool mode and the other way in spa mode. After 3 years without problems, the valve has recently quit working correctly. It works just fine when the EasyTouch is in spa mode. The valve will turn in either direction, depending on the position of the ON1/ON2 switch. However, if the EasyTouch is in pool mode, the valve will not do anything, no matter what position the ON1/ON2 switch is in.

Any ideas?

The majority of times the microswitch is the problem, but it could also be the wire or the ET itself..

To troubleshoot you can just swap the Intake and Return valve connectors on the main EasyTouch board.. If the problem changes to the other actuator, then the EasyTouch is bad.. If the same actuator is still bad, then I would inspect that actuator's cable to make sure nothing chewed through it.. If the wires look good than I would replace both microswitches.

Don't forget to swap the valves back when done troubleshooting. :)

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the advice. I bought a handful of the microswitches since they're cheap (thinking that would be the problem), but the continuity checked out on the ones in the valve. I'll try swapping the valve connectors next.

I'm not sure if this is relevant or not, but when the ET is in spa mode, the voltage drop at the valve is ~ 30 V which I believe is what it should be. However, when the ET is in pool mode, the voltage drop at the valve is only ~ 6 V, which would presumably be too low for the valve to operate.

Inside the ET is a relay for each actuator.. When the relay is not energized, 28 volts AC is supplied through the NC contacts to one side of the actuator driving it one way.

When energized, the voltage goes through the NO set of contacts to the other side of the actuator, driving it the other way..

If the relay is bad, you will only get voltage to drive it one way. The relay contacts could be bad, or the IC that drives the relay could be bad.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I swapped the valve connectors and the problem persisted on the same valve. I checked the wiring and something had chewed into the insulation, breaking only the red wire (explaining why the valve only worked in one direction).

A quick web search has not found any replacement wiring, so I guess I'll need to cobble something together.

Thanks again.

In most cases, the cable is way longer than needed.. In my case about 4 or five feet are inside the low voltage chase of my EasyTouch. You could just cut it and splice the two halves together..

Glad you were able to find the problem.. :goodjob:

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.