Vacuum to waste question

NH Swamp

May 20, 2019
Derry, NH
I've done lots of reading and have started the process opening my first pool. Came with the house and it's a mess. Lots of people told me to drain it and start over, but I found this place and wanted the challenge.
I got as many leaves out as I could with a net, but there still seems to be a lot in there. I read a lot about vacuuming large debris to waste. Perfect! Except it instantly clogged the skimmer basket at my pump. Should I have that removed? I have searched on here and Google and don't see anyone mentioning to remove that skimmer basket. Obviously the one at the pool skimmer needs to be removed to stick the hose in there. Any help is greatly appreciated.

zea3

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Hi, welcome to TFP! Never run the pump with the strainer pot basket removed. It protects your pump from being clogged by debris that would require taking the pump apart to clean. If you have a lot of leaf debris, you can add an inline leaf canister that will collect a lot of leaves while you vacuum. You will still have to stop and empty the canister but it holds a lot more than the skimmer basket. You could also get a low tech item called a leaf eater. Different brands may have different names for it but they connect to a garden hose and the water from the hose pushes the leaves up into a collection bag. It may also need emptying but it holds a lot of leaves. Since it adds water to the pool, you may want to rotate vacuuming to waste with using a leaf eater while refilling the pool.

NH Swamp

May 20, 2019
Derry, NH
Hi, welcome to TFP! Never run the pump with the strainer pot basket removed. It protects your pump from being clogged by debris that would require taking the pump apart to clean. If you have a lot of leaf debris, you can add an inline leaf canister that will collect a lot of leaves while you vacuum. You will still have to stop and empty the canister but it holds a lot more than the skimmer basket. You could also get a low tech item called a leaf eater. Different brands may have different names for it but they connect to a garden hose and the water from the hose pushes the leaves up into a collection bag. It may also need emptying but it holds a lot of leaves. Since it adds water to the pool, you may want to rotate vacuuming to waste with using a leaf eater while refilling the pool.
I'll look for a canister when I pick up more liquid chlorine tonight. I actually have a leaf eater, but never opened it because the bag looks so small. I'll keep at it and keep you updated. Thanks for the quick replies!