Great White North
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Zodiac LM3-24
The vacuum port cover / trim piece broke off today when removing the plug while opening the pool...

My question is: is this piece vital? Is it preventing a leak? Do I need to drain below and replace (before I fill pool)?
OR
Is this just cosmetic? Can I resume with opening and replace underwater in the next few days? I assume the liner (and looks like) the liner is sealed around the port.

Thanks in advance
20220507_172736.jpg

20220507_172806.jpg

I have the cover, which I'll install soon. I do not have an extra face plate.

Not questioning the need for the cover. This is just about the trim/face plate around it.

Do you have pictures of the backside of the faceplates? There are a few different models. Easy to replace, can be done underwater.
Yes, I tried to upload but were too big for server apparently... Let me resize them.

Attachments

• 20220507_173003_exported_2932.jpg
    20220507_173003_exported_2932.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220507_172958_exported_2899.jpg
    20220507_172958_exported_2899.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 7
There is a gasket behind the liner, it's usually glued to the fitting itself though. Hayward 1408B is the part number for the faceplate. Replacing in a couple of days isn't ideal, but it's hard to say if it'll cause any permanent issues or not. I'd say just get it replaced as soon as you can.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There is a gasket behind the liner, it's usually glued to the fitting itself though. Hayward 1408B is the part number for the faceplate. Replacing in a couple of days isn't ideal, but it's hard to say if it'll cause any permanent issues or not. I'd say just get it replaced as soon as you can.
So now that pool is open and water levels are up, the plate should arrive today. Haven't lost any water/doesn't seem to be leaking from that area since.

So replacing this underwater is OK? Since it's currently sealed I wasn't sure if removing the screws now would allow water to reach steel wall and if that could lead to corrosion of the wall. I know its just temporary that the water would reach it and maybe I'm being overly concerned just don't want create a bigger issue down the line.

Also, is any silicone or sealant needed in the screws?

Thx

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.