Vacuum Cleaner Recommendations — Must have wheels

SMKS

Aug 28, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Thus far I've tried two different "crawler" vacuums (Cheap Amazon One, Zodiak G3) and got rid of both. I can't get them to work well in my partial anemone shaped pool. They either get stuck on the step, or they just get in a pattern of not cleaning one complete side of the pool. Even after testing with all different pool hose lengths and suction strengths (following manufacturing instructions). I don't expect these random path vacuums to get every inch, but I sure expect them to clean more then just the outer ring of the shallow end. I'm looking for a wheeled vacuum.

What are you suggestions for a vacuum that fits this criteria:
  • Wheeled
  • Preferably able to backup, or turn
  • Uses the side suction that is built into my pool (preferably no electrical robot)
  • Low cost (below $400)

Get the best :)

Poolvergnuegen, yes they are spensive but mine worked for 5 years before I had to change a drive gear out... I am not sure about the 4 wheel one as I had the 2 wheel.. my pool is 32 feet long and worked great for it, if your pool is longer or has a deep end they say the 4 wheel works better.. Amazon has the 4 wheel for normal price, the 2 wheel is way overpriced but Inyo has it for a couple bucks more than normal..

Add 1 of these into the hose and it will collect dirt, sand, leaves and whatever before it gets to your pump and filter.. This also lasted about 5 years.. :)

I used another one of these on my hose, it seemed to help the hose to not get tangled up..

Poolvergnuegen, yes they are spensive but mine worked for 5 years before I had to change a drive gear out... I am not sure about the 4 wheel one as I had the 2 wheel.. my pool is 32 feet long and worked great for it, if your pool is longer or has a deep end they say the 4 wheel works better.. Amazon has the 4 wheel for normal price, the 2 wheel is way overpriced but Inyo has it for a couple bucks more than normal..

Add 1 of these into the hose and it will collect dirt, sand, leaves and whatever before it gets to your pump and filter.. This also lasted about 5 years.. :)

I used another one of these on my hose, it seemed to help the hose to not get tangled up..

Thanks for the suggestion! I've actually been looking at that one and the Zodiac MX6, both look like good options. Thanks for the links too.

I personally like the pool cleaners as far as suction side cleaners go, they hardly break down, and work well with vs pumps and low suction. The mx8 break down quite often(similar to mx6). The community is big on maytronics.

Get the 4 wheel version, they are more stable, unlike the 2 wheel version which tends to rock forward or backward causing suction port under cleaner to not make good contact with pool floor.

Stay away from MX6, can be pricey for parts, tends to jam up more with certain debris small rocks, etc.

You already know why i don't recommend the G3, or disc style cleaner, they are actually a great cleaner, as long as they are installed in a pool where they don't get hung up in certain corners or step areas, unfortunately, it requires installing it to find out, and the ones that get stuck, always seem, that no matter where you put the cleaner in the pool, it makes a beeline to the area they get stuck in, this is the only reason I stopped selling this type of cleaner.

Good luck.

Reactions: cowboycasey

Cowboycasey - can you please describe in detail how you hook up the Zodiac Cyclonic Leaf Canister with the Pool Hose Replacement Swivel Cuff?
I have a MX6 and the proprietary Zodiac 4' hoses are breaking and are expensive to replace. I am trying to figure out how to replace them with an ordinary pool vacuum hose, be able to hook it up with the MX6 and the Zodiac Cyclonic Leaf Canister. I was looking at the Haywood AXV092 Automatic Pool Cleaner Connector along with the connectors included with the Zodiac Cyclonic Leaf Canister to do this and would like to see how you are connecting everything with the Swivel cuff.

This is being discussed in a different thread called Pool Cleaner Hoses.

Thank you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The zodiac comes with 2 pieces that connect between the hoses.. all you do is disconnect 2 hoses and place it between them.. I put the zodiac between the first and second hose.. :)

btw I ended up getting the Hayward Phoenix 2 wheeled. Took me a while to realize that The PoolCleaner by Poolvergnuegen, the Hayward Aquanaut, and the Hayward Phoenix are all the same cleaners, just with slightly different exteriors.

I've had it running in our pool for about two weeks and have had zero issues so far! Highly recommend this cleaner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.