Vacation Prep

jagfan

Apr 8, 2009
Orange Park, FL
This week, I'm going on vacation for 9 days. Right now my pool is perfect, balanced and sparkling. It has been that way all summer (knock on wood)! The pump, filter and SWG are on a timer and come on automatically so the water will be circulating and chlorine will be generated. While away, however, the pool will not be brushed. I'm in Florida and it is hot and rains each day. Prior to departing, should I add polyquat 60 as a precautionary measure? If yes, does polyquat consume chlorine? Are there other recommendations to adequately prepare the pool?

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
If you have a solar cover, you should put it on the pool.

I wouldn't bother with polyquat. It might help, but probably not. Polyquat does consume some chlorine, but not a dramatic amount.

jagfan

Apr 8, 2009
Orange Park, FL
Thanks, I'll forget about the polyquat. I do have a solar cover. Didn't even think about using it because my pool is screened in. What is the advantage to using the cover - retain FC?

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
A solar cover will reduce the amount of chlorine lost to sunlight. Some are better at this than others, but any cover will help.

jagfan

Apr 8, 2009
Orange Park, FL
I'm thrilled. Returned after being gone 9 days and my pool was still sparkling. I didn't have a chance to put the solar cover on before departing but I did bump up the SWG output %age about 5 points. The neighbor said we had a lot of rain and the water line was almost to the top of the skimmer. But no cloudiness or algae. I took my reading early morning on the 10th day:

FC = 9
CC = 0
PH = 5
TA = 80

I believe I've found the source and overcome the algae problems I had prior to this year. The culprits were the underside of the steps on the ladder in the deep end. Although I couldn't see it, the area was harboring green algae. Once I realized this and scrubbed it all off, I haven't had a problem. I'm not able to remove the ladder from the pool anymore (it is stuck in very tight), so I use a toilet scrub brush and brush them every day while I'm in the pool. Don't know what I'm going to do after swimming season because I can't reach the underside of the steps from outside the pool.

zea3

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
You can try getting a pump up garden sprayer and mix a 50-50 water and bleach solution and spray it under the steps once a week or you could pour straight bleach around the ladder and use a brush or leaf rake to stir it around the steps until the water drops below 60 degrees.

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
jagfan said:
I believe I've found the source and overcome the algae problems I had prior to this year. The culprits were the underside of the steps on the ladder in the deep end. Although I couldn't see it, the area was harboring green algae. Once I realized this and scrubbed it all off, I haven't had a problem. I'm not able to remove the ladder from the pool anymore (it is stuck in very tight), so I use a toilet scrub brush and brush them every day while I'm in the pool. Don't know what I'm going to do after swimming season because I can't reach the underside of the steps from outside the pool.
Time to get inventive!

Browse the housewares departments at a few stores. See if someone doesn't have a ceiling fan duster that might work, upside down. Check what's available for cleaning out raingutters. Or just look for a suitable brush, something you can bend in a U, then saw the handle off a worn-out pool brush and epoxy things together. Voila! You have a shepherd's crook ladder brush attachment!

Melt In The Sun

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Or, you could get a huge bottle brush from a hardware store (they may have them) or a brewery supply store (they definitely will). Those can be bent every which way, and may work for you.

jagfan

Apr 8, 2009
Orange Park, FL
Melt In The Sun said:
Or, you could get a huge bottle brush from a hardware store (they may have them) or a brewery supply store (they definitely will). Those can be bent every which way, and may work for you.
Never heard of them, but will check it out. Thanks for the tip.

Other Threads of Interest