Vacation pool help

Julie46128

Jun 16, 2019
Indiana
Thanks to TFP and this forum my first pool has been just about perfect and clear since opening a few weeks ago. My pool is a above ground 16x28 oval about 12,000 gallons.
My ALKALINITY was high at start up but everything else was good and clear so I have just been bringing it down daily as my PH raises a little each day.
CYA 60
FC 4-5
PH 7.6
CH 240
ALK 220
My FC goes down to about 3 daily
And I adjust PH down to 7.2-7.4 daily
So I Am adding acid almost every day just a little to keep my PH between 7.2-7.6 to slowly bring down ALK. I also add bleach daily but only about 32 oz. I will be gone for 4.5 days and I do not want my pool to take a dive ....
I am going to leave pump going the whole time I am gone. I really do not want to use pucks because of CYA and because this pool as never had anything in it except bleach , acid and stabilizer. Would it be okay to lower my PH to 7.0 and raise my FC to like 15 or 20 ? I was thinking that by doing this , my levels should be back to normal in 5 days when I return. Thank you all for your dedication and help!

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Would it be okay to lower my PH to 7.0 and raise my FC to like 15 or 20 ?
Yes, no problem. Keep in mind thought that elevated FC drops at a faster rate than your FC in the normal target range. So while you may be used to a 3 ppm drop of FC each day, it may drop quicker from 20. It should still help you get a jump on things for at least 3 days or so. Of course if you have anyone else local you can trust to add bleach mid-way through your trip that may be idea as well.