Apr 13, 2018
Houston, TX
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Fairly new to the TFP process, so would like some input on vacation planning. We recently drained off about 50% to lower CYA and have been following TFP since, with liquid chlorine from Wallyworld. (Am seriously considering SWG, but that's another thread...)

We will be leaving for 2 to 3 weeks of vacation and I really don't have anyone to tend to the pool while gone. my thought was to 1) add liquid chlorine the night before we leave to Slam level (for me 16 for 40 CYA level), the 2) load up the chlorinator tabs into the feeder and see how it goes when we get back. (Assuming I might need to Slam when I return, but that's easy). Are there any other vacation tricks out there that I could consider?

Current readings:
FC: 5.4
CC: 0
pH: 7.6
TA: 80
CH: 270
CYA: 40
CSI: -0.24

I’ve heard of members using tabs as a last resort if no one can look after the pool for whatever reason. Just be sure to calculate how much CYA they will add to your water. As you know, the higher the CYA, the higher the FC you will need to get the same effect.

The SLAM idea doesn’t sound too shabby either, I don’t see how that would hurt.

Can you cover the pool? That goes a LONG way in helping avoid algae as it needs sun to grow.

I've been gone for up to 17 days by just covering the pool and leaving my SWG and pump running. I always come home to a spotlessly clear pool.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Blake1989
Our pools are the same size and in the Texas heat. I use exactly the same procedure you described for all of my vacations. The pool has always looked great when I get back, but this was 10 days at the longest. At the very worst, you may have to SLAM when you return. If you have a trusted neighbor who can run by 2-3 times/week and throw in a jug of bleach it can help. Maybe add a floater with extra tabs? Just be aware of how much CYA you’re adding. Otherwise, go with your plan, relax and enjoy your vacation! You know the TFP method, so you can correct any issues when you return.

How about a simple tarp like the use of roofs after a hurricane? Weight the edges down well and bring the water up to SLAM level and maybe a few floaters depending on your CYA tolerance. Might work for you?

Maddie :flower:

Our pools are the same size and in the Texas heat. I use exactly the same procedure you described for all of my vacations. The pool has always looked great when I get back, but this was 10 days at the longest. At the very worst, you may have to SLAM when you return. If you have a trusted neighbor who can run by 2-3 times/week and throw in a jug of bleach it can help. Maybe add a floater with extra tabs? Just be aware of how much CYA you’re adding. Otherwise, go with your plan, relax and enjoy your vacation! You know the TFP method, so you can correct any issues when you return.

I may have a guy who could pour in a jug of chlorine, but I'm really not too worried about it...

Can someone remind me of the math to calculate CYA additions based on the evil pucks?

I'd suggest raising FC to SLAM level the night/morning you leave and filling your chlorinator with pucks. Since your CYA is on the low side for Houston, you should be good to go.
The sun is what eats FC the most. If you can put a solar cover or cheapo tarp on the water, it would go a long way to keep the sun from destroying the FC.

Thought I'd give an update on our vacation tactics; we've now returned after being gone for about 3 weeks.

1. I ran a test the morning we were leaving and added about 1.5 gallons of 10% chlorine to the pool to bring to Slam level. All other test readings were in range.
2. I loaded up the chlorinator feeder with the very last of our Trichlor pucks. I set the feed dial to about 2.5 (of 5)... we are installing SWG in a few weeks, so I was fine with adding whatever CYA would increase as well as using up the pucks.
3. About 2 weeks in, a friend came over and poured in 2 gallons of 10% chlorine. I happened to be on the phone with him, watching live on my Ring camera as he did.

Here's the results:
1. Pool looked pretty clear when we returned, with the exception of some debris in the spa, and some algae along the waterline in the pool corners. The Pentair Racer ran each day and picked up the bigger stuff.
2. Test Results on return: FC, 3.8. CC, 0.2. pH, 8.0. TA; 80. CYA; 50 (unchanged).
3. Surprises: I was surprised that the CYA hadn't risen any since departure; I opened the Rainbow chlorinator and found that the pucks had hardly dissolved at all; perhaps only shrinking the height of one tablet; I've now cranked open the chlorinator to get these guys gone.

In short I was very pleased with how well this went while gone. And I'm looking forward to going off on vacation again after the SWG is installed...

Reactions: Lilypad

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You have to run your VS pump at fairly high rpm to use the puck thing. They are designed for single speed pumps.

Reactions: Hootz
You have to run your VS pump at fairly high rpm to use the puck thing. They are designed for single speed pumps.
I guess what I didn't say is that I used the chlorinator feeder for most of the first year we had the pool, prior to converting to TFP; the puck "usage" while we were gone on this vacation seemed much slower than previous. I can't explain the difference as I have made no changes to my pump speed. Not particularly concerned about it as we're converting to SWG soon, but found it puzzling.

Reactions: frankytii
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.