Vacation for a week, what to do about PH?

zolakk

Jul 29, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I have a fairly new plaster pool (January) and am still fighting almost daily PH creep, it'll go from 7.6 to 8.2 in a few days if I don't keep an eye on it. We are going on vacation for about a week soon and I was wondering what to do about that? I read a lot of threads that talk about chlorine but I wasn't able to find anything regarding PH, it seems for chlorine the advice is to bring it to shock levels and add a tab or two in a floater and let it fall while i'm gone. Using the same logic should I add acid till i'm at say 7.0 or lower and let it rise or should I do nothing and deal with the high PH when I get back? Having someone come by isn't likely to be an option, or else I would do that.

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
You could take your pH to the low end (7.2-ish) knowing it will rise fairly quickly anyways. I wouldn't go any lower though. You could also add a couple tri-chlor tabs to a floater which are acidic in nature and should also help to keep pH down a little. Of course tabs increase CYA too, so be aware of that. The Poolmath Calculator (link below) has a row at the bottom (Side Effects of Adding Chemicals) that can give you an idea of what to expect by using them. Hope that helps.