Vacation... Applying trichlor pucks?

Jun 8, 2015
AR
Headed out for a week's vacation so going to use a 3" trichlor puck to keep FC level up since I can't add bleach daily. Can I apply directly to skimmer basket or do I need to get a floater for it? Any advice?

I use pucks in a float when I am gone on vacation. Since I am always having to drain water off in my pool due to rain I never seem to have a problem with my CYA getting too high. If anything, I probably benefit from the occasional use of the pucks.

Only use the pucks if you plan to keep the pump running either 24/7 or by using a timer. Just letting pucks sit in a floater won't chlorinate the pool and if the floater drifts into a wall it can bleach the liner in that spot. Never leave pucks in the skimmer basket.

If you can't have the pump running while you're away, raise the FC to shock level the day you leave.

In your pool 1 8oz puck should yield about 3ppm Cl, and about 1.6ppm CYA. When I leave for a week vacation, ill put a couple of pucks in the skimmer with my pump on low 24/7, and put a few more in the floater. 1 puck just ain't gonna do it for ya.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.