Vacation advice needed

gwtw

Apr 23, 2018
Kentucky
We are going on vacation for a week in June, and I need some advice on what I need to do to keep the pool from turning into a swamy mess while we are gone. We do not have a timer, so we can't run the pump and SWG a few hours a day, and I do not feel comfortable running the pump 24-7 while we are away since I have a tree near my pool and don't know anyone who lives nearby that can come empty out the skimmer baskets twice a day and check to make sure everything is working properly. I thought about covering the pool with our mesh winter cover and run the pump and SWG 24-7 while we are gone, but this makes me a little nervous since the pump is old, I had a leak last year, and nobody will be around to check on it daily. I'm thinking about getting my pool up to shock level before we leave, turn off the pump, and just deal with any algae that forms when we come back. I could possibly pay a local pool pro to come here mid week and vacuum up the pool and dump in some chlorine, if this would help. If I were to leave the pool with the pump off, should I put the floating solar cover on after getting the pool up to shock level to keep some of the leaves out of the pool, or would this cause more chlorine loss since it heats up the water? Would it be worth it to pay a local pool pro $90 to come out here mid week and vacuum up the pool, and dump in some chlorine? (I could probably get my elderly neighbor to turn the pump off a few hours later so the pump could run for a few hours after adding the chlorine.) I could possibly put on my mesh loop-loc winter cover after getting it to shock level instead, but I'd rather not mess with it since it is extremely difficult to put on and off unless it would help. I know that I will have algae no matter what I do since I can't run the pump for a week, but I'd like some advice on what I could do to minimize the swampiness so I don't have any stains to deal with when I come back.

Last edited:

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
I don't think I would use anything that could increase the water temps any further. If you don't have someone reliable who can add x-amount of bleach every 1-2 days, I'd simply increase to SLAM level and drop a couple pucks in a floater and take care of things upon your return.

Rancho Cost-a-Lotta

Silver Supporter
Apr 10, 2018
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Your signature shows a SWG. You could install a timer in a couple hours and set it up to run a few hours a day. You'll find lots of help here getting the timer installed.

Here are a couple options for keeping your skimmer clear.

As Pat mentioned...having neighbor that can help you out is the best bet.

Good luck!

gwtw

Apr 23, 2018
Kentucky
I don't think I would use anything that could increase the water temps any further. If you don't have someone reliable who can add x-amount of bleach every 1-2 days, I'd simply increase to SLAM level and drop a couple pucks in a floater and take care of things upon your return.
Thanks for the advice. I thought about using a floater, but I was afraid that it would get stuck in a corner near the wall, or near the ladder, like it usually does. If I could figure out some way to get the floater to stay in the middle of the pool in the deep end, would the chlorine cause any damage to the shell of my fiberglass pool if it stays in one place all week? If I used Triclor tab in a floater, would it be worth it to pay a pool pro $90 to come vacuum out the pool mid week and bump the chlorine back up to shock level, and refill the floater with more Triclor tabs if necessary? Unfortunately, I don't know anyone that I can trust to add bleach every 1-2 days, but I could probably get a neighbor to turn my pump off after it is cleaned mid week, if that would help miminize the swampiness. I had a lot of stains in my fiberglass pool when I opened it up to algae last year, so I want to do whatever is necessary to prevent this from happening again.