Utility Pump For Tarp Question

gmike09

Bronze Supporter
Aug 10, 2016
Atlanta, Ga
I recently purchased a .5 HP non-submersible pump with the intent to remove water on top of tarp. It has a 1inch connection for input and output that I connected to my 1.5 inch hoses. So far, I am not getting any real suction on the pump. Any suggestions for what to check for for that may be wrong?

Any reason that you're not using a cover pump? These seem to hold up real well (I've left it outside removing water as the snow melts with the water freezing at night, and it seems to hold up to freeze/thaw cycles, etc). Ours is on it's 3rd year, and still running strong...

Amazon.com : Little Giant APCP-1700 Automatic Swimming Pool Cover Submersible Pump, 1/3-HP, 115V : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Garden & Outdoor
Yes. The pump I bought costs ~$60 which is cheaper than a submersible one. Also I felt I could use this for other purposes around the yard if needed. Seeing that this pump was designed for ponds which would be similar to the the water on top of a tarp.

How about pics of the actual pump setup you are having problems with?

The slightest air leak on the suction side will keep it from priming. That's the first thing to check.

Then I'd set it up so that it should pump, but squirt a garden hose up the outlet hose to fill the pump cavity. Backflush it, sort of. Once some water is coming out the intake, then turn the pump on and stop trying to prime it.

If that doesn't get it pumping, you probably got a defective pump.

Reactions: gmike09
The slightest air leak on the suction side will keep it from priming. That's the first thing to check.

Then I'd set it up so that it should pump, but squirt a garden hose up the outlet hose to fill the pump cavity. Backflush it, sort of. Once some water is coming out the intake, then turn the pump on and stop trying to prime it.

If that doesn't get it pumping, you probably got a defective pump.

This was pretty much it. Priming this pump this way made all the difference in the world vs the manufacturer directions. In addition I used a straightened out suction hose instead of pool hose also makes a difference too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
since it's not self priming your going to hate life, any air it won't pump at all.

Move the pump below what your trying to pump, stick a garden hose in the suction, while the suction is still under water and turn it on, let it get pumping good then remove garden hose.

Every foot above the source makes it harder to pump and also lowers the output.

Always use pool or suction hose on suction side, shorter the better, easier to prime

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.