Using salt water from a borehole with electrolysis to generate chlorene

Maxbeckett

Oct 8, 2020
Kilifi, Kenya
Hi - I have a borehole with salt water that I want to use for my pool at the coast. I am checking the ppm but it will be more than 4,000ppm. The pool is just under 25,000 glns. Is there a salt chlorinator system available that I can ship to Kenya that will remove unnecessary salt from the supply and just leave what is needed for the chlorination process, perform the process and is relatively easy to maintain?

Welcome to the forum!

Removing salt is going to be an expensive proposition. Is your fresh water prohibitively expensive or are you trying to save on salt expense?

You could always mix the salt water with the fresh water to get to the appropriate ppm in the pool (i.e. dilution). There are very high ppm SWGs but I am not sure you would want to swim in high salinity water.

Its hard to get a reliable supply and when you do its expensive. I have seen some ocean water fed pools that have 3ppm chlorine added in Canada that apparently work well - I was wondering if anyone else has had experience of them and things to be careful with?

Some manufacturers offer "sea-water" range chlorination equipment. Works from 5,000ppm to 35,000ppm and above.
You actually get longer lasting electrodes, as they get a lot less wear due to lover oxygen generation at higher salinity levels. Also, SWCG will consume less power to produce same amount of chlorine, thanks to reduced water resistance.
Search the web for 'sea water' chlorine generators.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.