Using salt in liquid chlorine pool

noithattli

In The Industry
Jul 16, 2021
new york
I've been reading all the info on TFP for the past few months and I recently discovered the pool school ebook. I never read the information about salt since I don't use a SWG but while reading the ebook I saw that it says "For improved water feel without a SWG, try levels around 2,000." I use liquid chlorine as my sanitizer and was hoping someone could explain to me why I would use salt without a SWG. I thought one of the things at TFP was only adding necessary chemicals, so there must be some kind of benefit I'm not understanding from having just salt alone. Would adding salt to my pool have any negative impact on the pump or the robotic cleaner that I leave in the pool

Last edited:

cowboycasey

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 3, 2013
Southern OK
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-40
Welcome to TFP :)

All pools are salt water pools, the liquid chlorine you put in your pool every day is salt water.. I bet your pool is already above 500 ppm salt content... most pools stay right around 1500 ppm salt.. Get a Taylor K-1766 salt test kit and check to see how much you already have before adding more..

It will not hurt anything being in a salt water pool... My systems have been in salt water pool for 9 years now and nothing is wrong with the pump and filter.. It will make the pool water "feel" better when getting out and you will be closer to getting a salt water generator for the really easy pool care.. once you go SWG you will never go back, it is life changing.. If mine died today I would have another one ordered tonight :)

Reactions: PoolGate

PoolGate

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2017
Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
For reference, the ocean is 35ppt (parts per thousand) salt. "Saltwater" pools are between 2 and 4 ppt. Non saltwater pools are typically between 1-2 ppt. Adding a little salt does improve water feel. The main difference between a saltwater pool and non-saltwater pool is a saltwater pool has an electrical device that is able to split saltwater into its elemental parts, one of which is chlorine. It is still a "chlorine" pool, it just has the ability to make its own chlorine. Most people that convert do it for the ease of maintenance. But water feel is also a prime factor.

Newdude

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 16, 2019
NY
For reference, the ocean is 35ppt (parts per thousand) salt. "Saltwater" pools are between 2 and 4 ppt. Non saltwater pools are typically between 1-2 ppt
+1. Was in the ocean last night. It was like swimming in Campbell’s chicken noodle soup.

The salt pool is like being on a strict diet with just a very light sprinkle of salt to the meal.

• Haha
Reactions: PoolGate

red-beard

Gold Supporter
May 27, 2019
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
A lot of pool builders talk about the corrosive effects of salt on coping, concrete, and killing plants. Some have people sign waivers if they do a Salt Water Pool. I think I would avoid one of those pool companies, since they obviously don't know what they are talking about. My pool builder pushed back against salt water pools.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.