Sherriejans

Bronze Supporter
Jan 28, 2021
North Central Florida
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
My pool has developed a general stain on the walls and floor.
Light in color and kind of a tannish/yellowish in appearance.
I did a Jack's Magic test and the #2 test removed the stain.
My husband thinks we should have the pool acid washed but I am wondering if the Jack's Magic can do just as good a job as the acid washing.
I don't want to empty the pool unless absolutely necessary and I also feel like I need to learn to use a Jacks Magic product to prevent future staining once the stains are removed.
I would love to hear feedback on Jacks Magic effectiveness.
Thanks !

Welcome to the forum!
It sounds like your stain is copper. When you use Jacks #2, which is sulfamic acid, you will want your heat pump and SWCG completely bypassed. Once the stain is removed, you will need to drain your pool to rid it of the copper. If you do not drain it, the copper will be in the water and will re-stain your pool. The sulfamic acid will also disrupt your FC testing for a long time.
An acid wash is a destructive process to the pool plaster surface. It may remove the stain, but will also remove a large amount of the life span of your plaster.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to the forum!
It sounds like your stain is copper. When you use Jacks #2, which is sulfamic acid, you will want your heat pump and SWCG completely bypassed. Once the stain is removed, you will need to drain your pool to rid it of the copper. If you do not drain it, the copper will be in the water and will re-stain your pool. The sulfamic acid will also disrupt your FC testing for a long time.
An acid wash is a destructive process to the pool plaster surface. It may remove the stain, but will also remove a large amount of the life span of your plaster.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
I have well water so I guess draining and refilling the pool will just add copper back in.
Can I use a sequestriant to get rid of the copper once the stain is removed or at least keep it from coming back ?

Odd that well water would have copper. Iron, yes, but not copper.

In your other thread, you said you add acid nearly every day. How do you add that to your pool water?

There are sequestrants that may help keep the copper in suspension. As you are in Florida, and it rains, you also could aggressively harvest rain water to exchange your pool water. Create a rain catchment system, drain the pool down before storms, etc.

Odd that well water would have copper. Iron, yes, but not copper.

In your other thread, you said you add acid nearly every day. How do you add that to your pool water?

There are sequestrants that may help keep the copper in suspension. As you are in Florida, and it rains, you also could aggressively harvest rain water to exchange your pool water. Create a rain catchment system, drain the pool down before storms, etc.
I did have the well water tested and did not see copper indicated as you mentioned.
That is why I figured the stain was scale and not copper when the #2 test removed it.
I got no reaction from the stain test that reacts with iron.
Why do you feel it is copper rather than scale ?
I add the acid by pouring it along one side of the pool in front of a return jet :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.