using an extension cord with an electric robot?

vinouspleasure

Jul 8, 2008
hi,

we don't have an outlet near the pool, does anyone use an extension cord with their pool cleaner?

thanks,
jd

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
I don't use one but it seems harmless enough just taking normal precautions so it doesn't fall in the water.

257WbyMag

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Feb 23, 2008
Denton, TX
I think that as long as it is a 3 prong outdoor extension cord and it isn't super duper freaky long, you should be ok.

gtemkin

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2008
Seattle, WA
I think you'd be wise to tie the extension cord to a post somewhere so there's no way the plugged together ends can be pulled into the pool accidentally.

Isaac-1

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2010
SW Louisiana
Also make sure it is plugged into a GFCI protected outlet. This has been required for outdoor outlets for a number of years, but if your house is more than 10-15 years old you may not have them.

Ike

dschribs

Mar 14, 2013
CT
I use one with my Hayward Tiger Shark. One thing I would add is make sure to use at least at 12 gauge cord. 10 Gauge would be better. The lower the gauge, the thicker the cord and the less voltage drop you will have. And get one that is only as long as you need it. The shorter the better. Again, less drop in power.

I found the service manual for my robot on line. Many of the trouble shooting issues involve not enough voltage getting to the unit due to the use of a cheap, thin extension cord that wasn't supplying enough voltage.

tcat

Silver Supporter
May 30, 2012
Austin, TX
I used an ext chord on a shop vac while sucking up leaves around the pool. The vac accidentally rolled into the pool... blew the ground fault device instantly. I let the vac dry out and still functions! Don't think it's be swimming with a robot attached to an ext chord though.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.