Using a slide to heat and cool a pool?

RS220

Gold Supporter
May 24, 2019
Fresno, CA
Went swimming in a warm pool over this hot weekend, it was not an enjoyable experience. It has me thinking how to prevent our own water temp from climbing too high when we need it most.

Our pool will take full sun until 4 or 5 pm. Summer temps are high 90s to low 100s, days approaching 110 are not unusual.

We may add a combo heat pump / chiller in the future, and have planned additional electrical outlets and space at the equipment pad for this.

As I was reading up on cheaper options to use in the meantime I saw quite a few people mentioning waterfalls and adding spray arms to return jets. My pool slide will be on its own pump, would running that overnight accomplish the same thing? It seems like with the added surface area of the slide it would maybe even be more effective because of the heat transfer while running down the slide in addition to the aeration and evaporation.

As I write this, I'm now also wondering if diverting the water from the slide into some coiled black tubes on the deck would make for a cheap solar heating option in the fall and early spring? We have lots of sunshine all year round, and actually a lot of extra deck space by the slide.

I don't think you will see any meaningful drop in temperature running the slide overnight. You may increase your pH however.

Solar heaters are all about the square footage of the heat exchanger. A few coils on the deck probably would do something but not much. Not even sure it would be measurable.

Heat pump/chillers take a lot of power you'd need probably 50 amps of power to run one.

I'd try the cheap homemade fountain approach first. With low humidity I would think it would be very helpful, especially if run at night.
Ours dropped our temps 5 degrees the first night we used it....and the Augusta area is awash with humidity. You might get better response even? Its the small, air tossed drops that do the most (best) work lowering temps.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.