Using a Pentair SWG with Jandy System OK?

Teddman

Nov 17, 2021
L.A.
Our Jandy PLC-1400 is in need of replacement, and our pool guy is recommending a Pentair IC-20 over a Jandy replacement, saying they're better for longevity/reliability. He's been excellent and I trust his advice, but he said ultimately either would work but has had better experiences with Pentair.

Everything else in our automated system is Jandy, pump, filter, etc. and we use the iAqualink web interface iOS app. I've seen comments online that automated pool systems work best when all components are of the same brand, and also the Pentair SWG's have some built-in circuitry that the Jandy's don't, which makes me wonder if it'd work as seamlessly in the system.

We'd also have to buy a power center for the Pentair while the Jandy SWG wouldn't require one, but the extra expense isn't a big deal if the Pentair is that much better...

Any opinions on how well a Pentair SWG would work in a Jandy system?

Reactions: Charlie Bezzina
Tedd,

How big is your pool? A salt cell needs to be at least 2 x the volume of the pool. So a 20K pool needs a 40K cell..

Are you not happy with the 1400??? How old is it, and why do you think it is bad??

I have no idea if your automation will talk with a Pentair salt cell or not??

Thanks,

Jim R.

HI Jim, thanks for the reply! The pool is on the small side, probably around 12K - 15K gallons. Definitely under 20K.

I'm not sure how to feel about the 1400... I've only recently moved in and have no info on how long the salt cell was installed before it went bad. Error codes that persisted after a thorough cleaning (which it needed, lots of scale buildup) led me and my pool service to conclude that it's no longer producing enough chlorine, as did testing the water.

The automation question stumps me too... If there's one thing that worked well, it's the automation on this pool. Everything is is responsive via the app. So maybe it's worth sticking with an all-Jandy setup.

Tedd,

A 20K cell is too small for a 12K pool.. Cells are rated when running at 100% for 24 hours.. This is why you need at least 2 x the pool volume.. You need a 40K cell no matter what brand you can buy.

I am a die-hard Pentair kind of guy, but I would recommend that you get another Jandy 1400...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have been running a Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 and now IC60 with my 20 year old Aqualink system for over 10 years. It works fine. The SWG needs adjustments every few weeks and I am out at the equipment pad anyway doing other things. It is not a big problem to me that I can't adjust the SWG from the Aqualink.

I like the packaging of the Intellichlor that when you replace the cell you replace everything except for the power supply. Over the long term the system has less problems then a system like Jandy or Hayward with more separate components.

Really they are both fine systems and you can flip a coin and be good with either one.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, looks like I need either the Jandy 1400 or Pentair IC40.
From your comments I'm inclined to stick with Jandy if the performance is near on par and it matches the rest of my system... The tie breaker is it'd be $400-$500 less since I don't need a new power supply with Jandy.

I have been running a Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 and now IC60 with my 20 year old Aqualink system for over 10 years. It works fine. The SWG needs adjustments every few weeks and I am out at the equipment pad anyway doing other things. It is not a big problem to me that I can't adjust the SWG from the Aqualink.
AJ, do you mean if I switch to Pentair, I'd no longer be able to use Aqualink to adjust the SWG? Not that I do that much, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra expense unless Pentair is that much more durable than Jandy... It is looking like it would cost more than double the price of a new Jandy 1400 to go with the Pentair installed.

AJ, do you mean if I switch to Pentair, I'd no longer be able to use Aqualink to adjust the SWG?

Yup.

Not that I do that much, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra expense unless Pentair is that much more durable than Jandy... It is looking like it would cost more than double the price of a new Jandy 1400 to go with the Pentair installed.

Go with the Jandy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.