Used solar panels?

So I've been looking on craigslist and it seems you can potentially save a fortune by buying some used panels from someone who filled in their pool or a house thats being remodeled etc.

Whats the best way to tell if the panels have some life left in them? I am guessing they will be more pliable vs. hard and brittle?

When the panels are at the end of their life do they just start sprouting leaks more than is economical to repair? how long do they typically last?

Panels have a life of from 5 to 15 years depending on water chemistry and exposure. They clog and get small leaks. The best way would be to test them but that is probably not possible because they will be likely off the roof.

jblizzle one of the moderators on here I believe installed used solar so he may be able to help you more.

Yes I did. I took a risk with no testing. I am not sure they really stiffen up either.
I got 11 4x12.5 Heliocol panels (only planned to use 10) plus controller for $600. One of the panels had a few tubes that were obviously cut, so I did not use it. After installing the 10 panels and firing up the system, I was lucky that only 3 of the 100s of tubes had small leaks that I plugged.

My install was on a very gently sloped roof. I used white roof tar to hold the brackets in place and just set the panels on the roof in the bracket. The Heliocol panels have individual tubes so they are much less affected by the wind. Due to the high heat, some of the brackets have started sliding down the roof, so I plan to get up there and add 1 bolt per bracket and a lot of tar to hold them in place.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If that is what you can get for a good price, they will work. I would use 2" pipe to and from them.

Not sure what you mean by a straight line, they should be installed in parallel. Post up some pictures/drawings and we can help with layout suggestions.

I'm looking to pick up a set of Solar City Vortex solar panels: 3 4x10 panels and 4 4x12 + punch of PVC piping off CL. They are a 3-4 years old but never been installed and guy's asking $600.
Now, I don't know whether the technology has changed since then and if the material gets weaker if left exposed to the elements, etc.
Other than panels, piping and mounting hardware do I need additional pump accelerate the flow? Any other considerations to make it a worthwhile DIY project? Thank you.

If that is what you can get for a good price, they will work. I would use 2" pipe to and from them.

Not sure what you mean by a straight line, they should be installed in parallel. Post up some pictures/drawings and we can help with layout suggestions.

You need a VRV to prevent negative pressure in the panels when off. And Ideally a solar controller hooked up to a solar 3 way valve with actuator.

You should really have started your own thread and not hijacked this one.

Yeah, this is a 3 year old thread.

FYI - there seems to be some real inexpensive solar panels on ebay. I just purchased a few of these for $80/each. I'm not sure the quality but will report back later.

XLong Inground Above Ground 28"x20' Solar Energy Swimming Pool Sun Heater Panel

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.