Use TriChlor sticks while on vacation?

IMissNimoy

Gold Supporter
Jul 3, 2018
Columbia, SC
I've switched to TFP manual dosing this year and plan to add SWG after swim season. I typically manually dose at dusk. My CYA can tolerate increase but I've been waiting to use my remaining 8-ounce TriChlor sticks when I'm out of town to do the work. I will be away from the pool 3-5 days approximately 3-4 times before fall. So much has changed on our pool, I'm not sure how to properly dose it with sticks anymore. I still have the tab feeder (currently by-passed) attached to the IFCS. I could use that but I am also not opposed to buying a floater. Any advice how to use sticks now and or calculate the needed amount to maintain the chlorine level while I'm away?

Sticks I have on hand: In the Swim 8-ounce 98.6% Trichloro-S-Triazinetrione

CL 5
CC .5 (kids just swam)
pH 7.5
Alk 90
CH 200
CYA <20
CSI -.16
Temp 88F

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Depends on how fast they erode. With those short trips, raise your FC to near SLAM level and use 2 or 3 sticks in the chlorinator. See how it goes your first trip.

IMissNimoy

Gold Supporter
Jul 3, 2018
Columbia, SC
Thanks. I'm planning a 2-3 day trial run to see how it goes. My CYA has dipped a little lower that planned with rain and splashout. I'm probably too conservative with it but two full drains the last two seasons made me a bit overzealous keeping it low. Thanks again.

Last edited: