Use hot tub equipment to make a pool?

Ian196499

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
England
Hi

my pal has a hot tub which has a cracked shell beyond repair. He wants to build a small swim pool and use the equipment from the hot tub for the pool.
is this feasible?
As the hot tub is 1500L and even a small swim pool would be about 10,000L I’m assuming he’ll need to upgrade the filter.
The hot-tub has 2 pumps so I’m thinking he could use one for filtration / circulation and the other for running the swim-jet at one end.
He’s a builder so he can put up the concrete shell / tiling etc with his mates for the cost of the materials.
If anyone has seen this done or can point me at a article describing this I’d be most appreciative.
Thanks!

That is the great thing, we can do anything we want :)

I think your right on the filter, probably a 150 to 300 sq ft filter and I bet both pumps are plenty large enough to use, probably 2hp.. We recommend a VS motor now as they are WAY more efficient... Most tub pumps run 30 minutes and most pools pumps run 4 to 24 hours and that is much different in power use..

Reactions: Ian196499
That was my thinking too.
He wants to have it like a swim-spa type set up so I was thinking of one pump at a low speed running the filtration / sanitation and the other higher speed to run the swim-spa jet.
would the pipework be best set up as two separate loops?
thanks for any thoughts!
Ian

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.