Urgent: advice needed before tomorrow's replastering

Lauryn

Jun 25, 2018
NC
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to get some advice or help with some questions.
We are currently in the middle of replastering our pool...well actually hours from the final steps.
Our pool is gunite or concrete & we are replastering with a Luna Quartz. Much more of the pool had to be chipped out than we anticipated. And that's ok, I'd rather know now. So the chip out has taken place and the bond coat has been applied. Tomorrow morning, the new plaster arrives long with the water trucks.

Here lays the problem:
We just found a significant hollow area. I called the company & they said no problem, they can fix it in the morning prior to the plaster being layed. Is this doable? My gut tells me this should be addressed prior to a whole crew, plaster truck & water truck get here. I was to.d this is normal & that this area could have become hollow after the bond coat was applied. Any advice is appreciated!

Another thing that has bothered me that you may have knowledge on. After applying the bond coat, some areas have not dried like the rest of the pool. I am concerned about this but told it is normal and is fine.

Thanks in advance for any advice or words of wisdom.
~ a worried pool ownerimage.jpeg

It's hard to tell. I suspect that you probably should have gotten a full chip out if the old plaster is delaminating that much.

You might have water seeping through the gunite due to high ground water.

If water is continuously coming in from the ground, it should be controlled before plaster or the plaster will not cure right.

What is the ground water situation?

Do you have pictures?

It's hard to tell. I suspect that you probably should have gotten a full chip out if the old plaster is delaminating that much.

You might have water seeping through the gunite due to high ground water.

If water is continuously coming in from the ground, it should be controlled before plaster or the plaster will not cure right.

What is the ground water situation?

Do you have pictures?

Hi JamesW,

Thank you for your response! I've added a picture.

To my knowledge, our ground water situation should be fine. Not much rain here lately at all. Our temps have fluctuated mainly between the 60's & 70's but even an 88 the other day. Certainly enough sun & temps to dry it out. Is there another way to check?

Is there a body of water nearby that you can estimate the elevation of?

Did they do anything with the hydrostat?

Did they have to use a pump on a line going under the pool?

Is there a body of water nearby that you can estimate the elevation of?
~ Within a mile or two no. But there are several lakes in our county (approx 20-30miles out)

Did they do anything with the hydrostat?
~ One of the workers said he checked our valve & it didn’t release any water.

Did they have to use a pump on a line going under the pool?
~ No
[/QUOTE]

Just a thought....
Our neighbors pool has been sitting empty for some time as they plan to fill it in. Their pool required a liner which isn’t in it now. No water coming in to their pool.

Ok thanks!
Yes, I hope that’s all they need to do. I agree it probably should’ve been a full chip out instead of 1/2 or 3/4.
Thanks so much for your feedback.

I should’ve properly introduced myself a long time ago. I am a first time pool owner who purchased our home a decade ago. It was a foreclosure. I learned a lot from the posts here! ?

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.