LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2007
Pleasanton, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Because of the recent drought in California, many pool owners here are choosing to remove their pools to reduce water usage (even though they could have just used a pool cover). Some cities are even paying pool owners to remove pools. This has created a flood of used equipment for sale on Craigslist and some of it in pretty decent condition. I just scored a Hayward MaxFlo VS SP2303VSP pump supposedly less than a year old (looks like it was just installed) for only $225 from a guy that does pool removals. I've already installed it and it is running great plus it works with my AquaLogic too!

Anyway, just curious if others have seen the same thing in their areas.

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
Mark,

I bet the guy has a much harder time selling the gunite pools he removes.. :p

I too like Craig's list.. Glad you got a good deal..

Jim R.

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
Last year or so I remember reading an article from a California paper stating that the drought was causing an upswing in pool builds. The thought was that a pool uses less water than a yard of grass that needed watering.

I would be heartbroken to take a pool down and out.. <sniffle sniffle> But great for you to score these type of buys on Craigslist. My local craigslist isn't very fruitful of good deals, sadly.

Maddie :flower:

mas985

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2007
Pleasanton, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
This is a little dated but it does show a slight dip in the percentage of HH with pools.

Pkdata-Chart-4_516_lg.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.