upgrading pump, filter, and heater... need some plumbing advice

rascal63

Silver Supporter
Dec 27, 2019
Galt, Ca
Hello all. I am installing a new pentair intelliflo pool pump, raypak rp2100 ng pool heater, and a pentair clean and clear filter. This will all be controlled by the E/T 4. This is a pool only setup. My plumbing question is about the 3 way valve. Right now it is set to approx. 75/25% skimmer/ pool. I have read about using an actuator on the new 3 way valve. because i can run the skimmer and pool at different speeds thru the E/T with the intelliflo pump. I was recommended the jandy 3 way valve never lube. Should I stay with jandy for the actuator as well or use pentair actuator for E/T? Is one better than other? Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Hello all. I am installing a new pentair intelliflo pool pump, raypak rp2100 ng pool heater, and a pentair clean and clear filter. This will all be controlled by the E/T 4. This is a pool only setup. My plumbing question is about the 3 way valve. Right now it is set to approx. 75/25% skimmer/ pool. I have read about using an actuator on the new 3 way valve. because i can run the skimmer and pool at different speeds thru the E/T with the intelliflo pump. I was recommended the jandy 3 way valve never lube. Should I stay with jandy for the actuator as well or use pentair actuator for E/T? Is one better than other? Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.
also, there are 2 different models of jandy 3 way valves. one is 4945 and the other is a 4715 is there one i should use over the other?

My plumbing question is about the 3 way valve. Right now it is set to approx. 75/25% skimmer/ pool.

You say you have a pool only and no spa. Do you mean 75%/25% between the skimmer and main drain?

I have read about using an actuator on the new 3 way valve. because i can run the skimmer and pool at different speeds thru the E/T with the intelliflo pump.

An actuator connected to the ET can only move to two positions. What two positions would you want to move the valve between?

I was recommended the jandy 3 way valve never lube. Should I stay with jandy for the actuator as well or use pentair actuator for E/T? Is one better than other?

Jandy and Pentair actuators are almost identical and interchangeable. Either one works equally well.

also, there are 2 different models of jandy 3 way valves. one is 4945 and the other is a 4715 is there one i should use over the other?

4945 has internal stops that can be set so the valve cannot be turned beyond certain points. 4715 will freely turn.

See 2019 Jandy Commercial Catalog

If the only two inputs to your pump is the Skimmer and the Main Drain, then there are zero reasons to add an actuator to that valve. The only thing that might make some sense is if you were switching between a Skimmer and a Vacuum port..

As a side note... I installed an EasyTouch, IntelliFlo pump and IC40 SWCG at two rent houses and it was the best "pool money" I have ever spent.. You will enjoy them. Did you get ScreenLogic? If not, you should think about it.. Not having ScreenLogic is like riding a horse without a saddle.. It can be done, but it is a lot more work.. :mrgreen:

Show us a pic of your current equipment pad.

Thanks,

Jim R.

4945 has internal stops that can be set so the valve cannot be turned beyond certain points. 4715 will freely turn.

See 2019 Jandy Commercial Catalog
omg ... i can't believe I said that. the current 3 way valve is between the Pressure side cleaner and pool returns which go thru heater and that is 75/25. I attached a pic.

I just need 3 way to control press. side cleaner or pool. I was thinking for cleaner at certain rpm and rest of time just on pool at lower rpms. Hope that makes sense.

So, those are the only 2 things actuator will control pool/heater or cleaner (polaris 360)
sorry for confusion.

Attachments

• 20191121_110859.jpg
    20191121_110859.jpg
    490 KB · Views: 14

If the only two inputs to your pump is the Skimmer and the Main Drain, then there are zero reasons to add an actuator to that valve. The only thing that might make some sense is if you were switching between a Skimmer and a Vacuum port..

As a side note... I installed an EasyTouch, IntelliFlo pump and IC40 SWCG at two rent houses and it was the best "pool money" I have ever spent.. You will enjoy them. Did you get ScreenLogic? If not, you should think about it.. Not having ScreenLogic is like riding a horse without a saddle.. It can be done, but it is a lot more work.. :mrgreen:

Show us a pic of your current equipment pad.

Thanks,

Jim R.
this is most current. I will be pulling old heater, filter and pumps out first week in February. so, the 3 way jandy and actuator will be splitting press. side cleaner and pool/heater returns. Screen logic will be maybe march. Trying to get all done so i don't have to be out there in the 100's. LOL

Attachments

• 20200116_164023.jpg
    20200116_164023.jpg
    482.4 KB · Views: 9
omg ... i can't believe I said that. the current 3 way valve is between the Pressure side cleaner and pool returns which go thru heater and that is 75/25. I attached a pic.

I just need 3 way to control press. side cleaner or pool. I was thinking for cleaner at certain rpm and rest of time just on pool at lower rpms. Hope that makes sense.

So, those are the only 2 things actuator will control pool/heater or cleaner (polaris 360)
sorry for confusion.

That makes more sense. Either a Jandy or Pentair actuator will work on the valve to switch it between 100% cleaner and 75% pool/25% cleaner or however you want to set the actuator stops.

That makes more sense. Either a Jandy or Pentair actuator will work on the valve to switch it between 100% cleaner and 75% pool/25% cleaner or however you want to set the actuator stops.
Allen, I really appreciate your time, experience, and knowledge. I was hoping to just have the valve go 100% cleaner or 100 % pool return. Then use the E/T intelliflo pump to control flow to each one. This being said, would you then recommend the 4715, because it just needs to be one way or the other? Thanks again for your time and in my case your patience, LOL

Allen, I really appreciate your time, experience, and knowledge. I was hoping to just have the valve go 100% cleaner or 100 % pool return. Then use the E/T intelliflo pump to control flow to each one. This being said, would you then recommend the 4715, because it just needs to be one way or the other? Thanks again for your time and in my case your patience, LOL

4715 valve will work fine and you set the actuator stope for your desired 100% or 100%.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.