Upgrading 2004 intellicenter

THW24

Mar 28, 2020
Woodland Hills CA
I just replaced my pump that expired after 6 years of hard work with a intelliflo VSF and have found my old intellicenter system is not compatible and cannot control the new pump. I was advised by Pentair support to either flash the board or replace the board. I spoke with a local supply store that can flash the board, who advised that the flashing does not always work and due to the time it takes to upgrade it costs 300.00. He recommended upgrading the board which is around 600.00. Couple of questions:

1. Would those of you in the know agree with this? if not, why?
2. if I upgrade the main board, is it worth it to upgrade the personality board which then I believe means I have to upgrade to the low voltage cover that has a screen if I am correct?

Don't want to break the bank, but also want to be wise and do what's needed and makes sense. The wife has been threatening to turn my pool into a large flower garden for years! :)

thank you

Thad

system: Intellicenter (Main board #520073 stamped number on board and sticker on board showing version 1055 #520165, 10/19/2004 and personality board i9+3 #520074), screenlogic2 controller hardwired to home router (mobile touch died last year), pool with spa/fountain (combined), hayward heater, SW generator, 2 valves.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Welcome to TFP.

I think your system in an IntelliTouch, not IntelliCenter. Pentair uses too many similar confusing names.

520165 looks like the main board. 520073 looks like the board for the IntelliChlor SWG from some quick searches.

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
Thad,

As Allen point out.. You have an IntelliTouch...

Tell me why you think the pump is not comparable? Is it just because you don't see "VSF" in the pump selections?

Have you tried to configure it as a "VS" pump? There are only a very few reason that anyone needs the "VF" portion of the VSF pump?

Tell us what happened when you tried to use the pump..

Let's also see what Tom, one of our Pentair experts, has to say... Calling @ogdento

Thanks,

Jim R.

THW24

Mar 28, 2020
Woodland Hills CA
thanks for the welcome and you are both correct. Intellitouch is what I have. Too many hours reading the Pentair website, everything blurs together :)

I e-mailed with the Pentair support line and he said "IntelliFlo changes were not made to IntelliTouch until version1.080 Feb 2006" and mine is 10/2004 version 1.055. I connected up the pump yesterday and programmed Screenlogic for different speeds but I was unable to get it to work at all. I then programmed the pump to run at 3000 for 8 hours internally on the pumps screen and then used the Screenlogic to turn the pump on and then switch to the fountain/spa at the appropriate time. Works that way but I was under the impression you could program the schedule/speed of the pump through Screenlogic.

pentair board.jpgpentair board 2.jpgpentair board sticker.jpg

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Here is a long thread on DIY updating of the firmware...