Upgrade Hayward Super Pump Motor for SWG

madmanmarz

Apr 16, 2020
SE FL
With the higher price and more limited availability of chlorine and bleach, I would like to install a salt water chlorine generator. I changed my pump last year, I believe it is a 1.5hp Hayward Superpump. I would like to get a quality 1.5hp 2 speed or VS motor. Is there any guidance on what motors are compatible? I’m assuming there’s no difference between the pumps - just the motor.

I have to dig in a little when I have the time because I believe the pump was a 1hp maxflo and pool guy sold me superpump housing/impeller etc which was compatible.

Last edited:

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Why is your current pump not adequate for whatever SWG you want to install? It should work fine.

Why replace a good 1 year old motor?

madmanmarz

Apr 16, 2020
SE FL
Why is your current pump not adequate for whatever SWG you want to install? It should work fine.

Why replace a good 1 year old motor?
The pump is new. The pump motor is old and single speed. I figured change it now before it dies and go to a more efficient model for running the SWG.

Last edited:

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
We need to know what wet end pump you have, what model number impeller, and see the motor data plate to say what other motors would work in your Frankenpump.

Reactions: madmanmarz

red-beard

Gold Supporter
May 27, 2019
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Dig down through the posts. There is a thread on just replacing the pump motor with a VSP motor and controls. I believe it was last summer.