Upgrade after the freeze, a few questions

Jul 6, 2013
I went down a rabbit hole upgrading my pool after the freeze here in Texas. After I fixed a broken valve and top off water line I decided to replace, upgrade or rebuild most of my 2007 vintage equipment. I wanted to do this since the pumps are loud and the pool pad sits directly on the outside wall of our bedroom. Normally this is not an issue since they run during the day however when it's in freeze mode they make noise all night. The pumps are also single speed power hogs.

My TA100D sand filter had a leaky valve so I tried to replace the spider gasket. The gasket was glued in so well that I spent about 1 1/2 hours digging the old one out. When I returned the valve to service it still leaked a little through the waste port so I decided to just replace the valve.

I have parts ordered to rebuild the check valves and jandy valves although they all appear to work.

I replaced my 2 main pumps with Intelliflow 011056 models. At the moment I have them wired up to the relays but will directly connect them to the breaker. I also plan on using GFCI breakers for the pumps.

I replaced the PB40 booster pump with a PB4SQ. The new pump seems very plasticky and light weight, not sure how long it will last. It is quiet and supposedly 30% more efficient.

The Easytouch system was in need of a wiring cleanup and a good re torquing of the connections. While I was at it I added the ScreenLogic2 adapter wired via ethernet directly to my router. My Easytouch has a firmware version of 1.060. I am able to connect via my iphone and computer but have some issues.

I connected the communication lines from the pumps, screenlogic2 and easytouch wireless remote to the com port on the controller. The pumps have an address of 1 and 2. On the screenlogic configurator I can see one pump but not the second. My wireless remote is not functional and the screenlogic can make configuration changes but it can not control the pool. I am assuming that my firmware is too old to manage this configuration. I now understand that boards with the 1.060 firmware are not upgradable. So now I guess I would upgrade the controller to the intellicenter?

Once I have the controller working I am going to replace the lights. I planned on using the PoolTone LED color bulbs from Florida Sunseeker. Will thees bulbs be compatible with the intellibright control scheme?

TT,

Let's see what Tom has to say about upgrading the card you have now... Calling @ogdento.

Do the two pump show up when you use the LCD screen on the EasyTouch? When you look at the LCD and go to Menu, Settings, IntelliFlo, does it show Pump#1 and below that Pump #2??

Did you actually set the addresses of the pump's by using the pump's control panel.. It can't be done via the EasyTouch and just because the EasyTouch show pump #1 and pump #2 that does not mean the address in the pump itself is correct.

Just to be clear.. for the wireless remote to work, it needs its own set of transceivers, it cannot use the same set that ScreenLogic uses.

As you noted... both IntelliFlo pumps need to be connected to constant AC power...

I used to use a wired connection between my EasyTouch and the protocol adapter... Until I took a lightning hit that took out half of my in house network, the protocol adapter a modem and switch.. The lightning came in on my direct wiring.. I use the wireless links now... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

TT,

Let's see what Tom has to say about upgrading the card you have now... Calling @ogdento.

Do the two pump show up when you use the LCD screen on the EasyTouch? When you look at the LCD and go to Menu, Settings, IntelliFlo, does it show Pump#1 and below that Pump #2??

Did you actually set the addresses of the pump's by using the pump's control panel.. It can't be done via the EasyTouch and just because the EasyTouch show pump #1 and pump #2 that does not mean the address in the pump itself is correct.

Just to be clear.. for the wireless remote to work, it needs its own set of transceivers, it cannot use the same set that ScreenLogic uses.

As you noted... both IntelliFlo pumps need to be connected to constant AC power...

I used to use a wired connection between my EasyTouch and the protocol adapter... Until I took a lightning hit that took out half of my in house network, the protocol adapter a modem and switch.. The lightning came in on my direct wiring.. I use the wireless links now... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi Jim,

Only one pump shows up on the Easytouch screen as Intelliflow 4. I have configured the pump address at the pumps to 1 and 2.

The Screenlogic2 interface is connected to the network directly. I really like the idea of isolating the network with the wireless adapter.

I am going to disconnect one of the pumps and see if the remote starts to work again.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob,

If it shows "IntelliFlo 4" it is old...

When Tom chimes in, he will know more about different software loads and what they do.

He also might have an option to upgrade the card you have... "Maybe"...

Going with the IntelliCenter upgrade would be great except you are already into the EasyTouch and ScreenLogic.. If this were my system, I'd be looking for a cheap EasyTouch board.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hey guys,
Yeah, your Easytouch board - aka "Easytouch 1" - can't run the 2.x "Easytouch 2" firmware because it doesn't have enough program space on the chip that was used (ET-1s have 64k vs 128). A little more detail if you have trouble sleeping...

If you want to stay with the Easytouch, the only option would be to get a replacement 2.x. outdoor controller. You can sometimes find fairly cheap used ones on the auction site, or even new ones from online retailers.

This won't help Bob, but as for hacking/upgrading an ET-1 to an ET-2 I'm just lazy and I haven't tried it yet... at some point I'll try swapping a bigger chip onto an ET-1 and see if I end up with an ET-2 (I have a donor chip with the boot loader on it).

Tom

Thanks to all for the feedback on the controller. I purchased the ScreenLogic2 second hand from ebay for a really low price, I will probably just resell it.

I ordered the Pentair Intellicenter upgrade kit from PolyTec Pools that includes the wireless adapter. Hopefully I will have it by this weekend.

I still need to figure out what to do with the lights. Should I just replace the bulb with a color LED or replace the fixture? I have 2 pool lights and one spa light, all 12V and still working. I am leaning towards the PoolTone bulbs from Florida Sunseeker. Can the Intellicenter control the color changing of them?

Reactions: ogdento
I now have the Intellicenter installed and working.

A few questions.

1. Is there a macro or standard setting that will allow me to drain the spa?
2. Should my pressure side cleaner be configured as a pump, cleaner or both?
3. I am replacing two pool lights and a spa light with color splash bulbs. Should I set them as intellibrite in the configuration?
4. I seem to have a suction side leak after I installed the VSF pump. I have tried to locate it using the method with a garden hose but am not having much luck. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.