Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Hi everyone!
We are revisiting an inground pool which we had originally looked at a few yrs ago. We live in South Jersey, have 2 kids, girl (7) & boy (almost 6). We are in the process of getting quotes from a few PBs (I had conversations and quotes from some a few years ago) Below is a design and initial quote from PB1. The design shows a built-in spa but I think we would do a separate hot tub. I think we would like to include the tanning ledge (100 sq ft?)
Size of pool is 18’x36’ rectangle (open to design ideas/suggestions) with depth going to 6’ (no diving board, would consider slide whether now or later).

PB recommended heat pump for efficiency but we could switch out to gas heater, I think the speed of the gas heater in early and late season appeals to us even if not as efficient.

Is a VS pump recommended even if we don’t have a built in spa?

Open to all feedback and suggestions. Thank you!

Jim

1594487949533.jpeg
1594488024254.jpeg

18’ x 36’ 648 Sq’ gunite w/ tanning ledge

4’ Cantilever Edge Cement Deck has a $ 10.00 per foot allotment included in price.

6” Tile Line ASTM rated A137 installed as per Tile council of North America.

Electrical system with dual programmable timers up to 100' from main electrical source.

Custom plumbing layout for your yard and wind direction, 2in Hayward wide mouth suction skimmers. (1 per 400sqft of swimming area, Code requirement is 1 per 800sq), Dual Anti-vortex main drain circulation system for safety, improved filtration and heat distribution, Hydro-Stream return inlets for optimum water circulation, All skimmers and main drains are independently plumbed to the equipment, Minimum 2” plumbing. 1.5” on Cleaner lines.

2.0 hp Hayward Superpump, 460 sq' Cartridge with backwash valve or 48 Sq. Ft. D.E Filter with 2" Multiport valve (PB suggested Cartridge)

Salt Chlorination Generator. IF automation selected omnilogic cell will be used.

Polaris TR35 Automatic pool cleaner, with separate pump, beach pool will get Polaris 360 with automated actuator if automation is selected (seems like a robot is preferred, suggestions on which one?)

Three Accent 320 LED lights.

All equipment installed using Jandy NeverLube Valves or equivlant.

10” thick concrete 3’ x 7’ filter pad or 3’x 7’ Poly wood filter pad.

Stainless steel deluxe step handrails with anchors and escutcheons for easy access if desired.

HyperLite Solid safety cover

Cost of project, as specified, with Heat Pump (or Gas Heater) : $59,895.00
(would be white plaster, no tanning ledge, no automation)

Allotment for Permit, structural engineering and placement plan
$ 1,900.00

Tanning Ledge 100 Sq. Ft.
$ 2,700.00

VS omni Hayward 3 function OmniLogic
$ 2,195.00

Pebble Tec/ Sheen Interior Finish up to 650 sq’
$ 8,295.00

Additional 450sq’ of brushed white decking
$ 4,500.00

If including all of the above options will discount to Project Total $ 75,000.00

Slate Texture Decking Grey or Buff color with to first 450 sq
$ 3,280.00

Additional 450sq’ Slate Texture Decking Grey or Buff color.
$ 6,750.00

Lose that 2hp pump and get a VS pump. That energy savings will pay for itself. Some utility companies offer rebates. Starting next year a VS pump will be required by law. Don't take unwanted old stock off his hands, get the VS now.

Also ditch the second pump and let a robot do the work without needing an additional pump. Cheaper to run by far!

Last edited:
Lose that 2hp pump and get a VS pump. That energy savings will pay for itself. Some utility companies offer rebates. Starting next year a VS pump will be required by law. Don't take unwanted old stock off his hands, get the VS now.

Also ditch the second pump and let a robot do the work without needing an additional pump. Cheaper to run by far!

Thank you for the feedback! Is there a specific Hayward VS pump that is recommended?

Robot seems to be a consensus, thanks!

I cant name a product number (like others here can, and probably will) @ajw22 @Bama Rambler

As for the robot I know all you need is a GCFI power outlet near the pool for it to plug into. If you don't want to buy it from the pool builder, we know of some often cheaper better robots and places to get them.

Maddie

What's your desired use case for the tanning ledge? Might just be angles, but the proportions in the picture make it look like you could have one lounge chair facing the spa or maybe two regular chairs facing the pool. Does that work for you?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What's your desired use case for the tanning ledge? Might just be angles, but the proportions in the picture make it look like you could have one lounge chair facing the spa or maybe two regular chairs facing the pool. Does that work for you?

Hi Tim,
We actually won’t have a built in spa, it was just part of their initial design as we weren’t sure. But I think we would do a stand alone hot tub.

As for the tanning ledge, they were stating around 100 sq ft, although we could adjust based on what would make the most sense. I would think room for 2 lounge chairs would be ideal but also would be used for people to hang out on/little ones to play. Definitely open to ideas around design, layout, size and along with stairs.

Thanks,
Jim

Hi everyone!
We are revisiting an inground pool which we had originally looked at a few yrs ago. We live in South Jersey, have 2 kids, girl (7) & boy (almost 6). We are in the process of getting quotes from a few PBs (I had conversations and quotes from some a few years ago) Below is a design and initial quote from PB1. The design shows a built-in spa but I think we would do a separate hot tub. I think we would like to include the tanning ledge (100 sq ft?)
Size of pool is 18’x36’ rectangle (open to design ideas/suggestions) with depth going to 6’ (no diving board, would consider slide whether now or later).

PB recommended heat pump for efficiency but we could switch out to gas heater, I think the speed of the gas heater in early and late season appeals to us even if not as efficient.

Is a VS pump recommended even if we don’t have a built in spa?

Open to all feedback and suggestions. Thank you!

Jim

View attachment 152249
View attachment 152250

18’ x 36’ 648 Sq’ gunite w/ tanning ledge

4’ Cantilever Edge Cement Deck has a $ 10.00 per foot allotment included in price.

6” Tile Line ASTM rated A137 installed as per Tile council of North America.

Electrical system with dual programmable timers up to 100' from main electrical source.

Custom plumbing layout for your yard and wind direction, 2in Hayward wide mouth suction skimmers. (1 per 400sqft of swimming area, Code requirement is 1 per 800sq), Dual Anti-vortex main drain circulation system for safety, improved filtration and heat distribution, Hydro-Stream return inlets for optimum water circulation, All skimmers and main drains are independently plumbed to the equipment, Minimum 2” plumbing. 1.5” on Cleaner lines.

2.0 hp Hayward Superpump, 460 sq' Cartridge with backwash valve or 48 Sq. Ft. D.E Filter with 2" Multiport valve (PB suggested Cartridge)

Salt Chlorination Generator. IF automation selected omnilogic cell will be used.

Polaris TR35 Automatic pool cleaner, with separate pump, beach pool will get Polaris 360 with automated actuator if automation is selected (seems like a robot is preferred, suggestions on which one?)

Three Accent 320 LED lights.

All equipment installed using Jandy NeverLube Valves or equivlant.

10” thick concrete 3’ x 7’ filter pad or 3’x 7’ Poly wood filter pad.

Stainless steel deluxe step handrails with anchors and escutcheons for easy access if desired.

HyperLite Solid safety cover

Cost of project, as specified, with Heat Pump (or Gas Heater) : $59,895.00
(would be white plaster, no tanning ledge, no automation)

Allotment for Permit, structural engineering and placement plan
$ 1,900.00

Tanning Ledge 100 Sq. Ft.
$ 2,700.00

VS omni Hayward 3 function OmniLogic
$ 2,195.00

Pebble Tec/ Sheen Interior Finish up to 650 sq’
$ 8,295.00

Additional 450sq’ of brushed white decking
$ 4,500.00

If including all of the above options will discount to Project Total $ 75,000.00

Slate Texture Decking Grey or Buff color with to first 450 sq
$ 3,280.00

Additional 450sq’ Slate Texture Decking Grey or Buff color.
$ 6,750.00
I am going the other same process in Central Jersey as you are. Only difference is I want a free form pool.

I like the pool design, just a couple of comments/questions:

- If you remove the spa, will the tanning ledge run the entire length of the shallow end?
- I understand the reason/need for the bench in the deep end, but I cringe at the thought of someone jumping in and not knowing it is there. I would do a line of tile along the edge to make it more visible and hopefully save you a trip to the ER or dentist for your kids and their friends.
- I would carefully consider the depths and try to maximize your adult wading area (4.5-5 ish) and the deep end (6ft). The depths in between are a bit wasted, so I would try and make sure your depths and slope maximize your useable area of the pool.

By the way, our climates are different so our uses may be different, but that back patio area is screaming for you to cover it with a pergola, complete with lights, speakers, etc.

- If you remove the spa, will the tanning ledge run the entire length of the shallow end?
- I understand the reason/need for the bench in the deep end, but I cringe at the thought of someone jumping in and not knowing it is there. I would do a line of tile along the edge to make it more visible and hopefully save you a trip to the ER or dentist for your kids and their friends.
- I would carefully consider the depths and try to maximize your adult wading area (4.5-5 ish) and the deep end (6ft). The depths in between are a bit wasted, so I would try and make sure your depths and slope maximize your useable area of the pool.

By the way, our climates are different so our uses may be different, but that back patio area is screaming for you to cover it with a pergola, complete with lights, speakers, etc.

JJ,
The tanning ledge certainly could run the length but we do not have a set plan for it yet so open to ideas/suggestions. The width of the pool will be 18’. I think our daughter may swim laps so that maybe better suited to not have the tanning ledge run the full width? Or offset it? Not sure so open to ideas.

You are spot on with the patio, still gets plenty hot in NJ during the summer so some type of awning/pergola/covering would be welcomed. Speakers and tv would be a nice addition as well.
With removing the built-in spa, would like to add a stand alone hot tub so will need to figure out ideal placement for that as well.

Thank you for the feedback!
Jim

JJ
In regards to the depth, seems like most suggest 4’ shallow end and we agree with having a good size shallow end to hang out in. Deep end would like to be deep enough for kids to jump in so maybe 6’, could go deeper but not sure if we need to if we don’t have a diving board which we won’t?

Good idea with making the bench in deep end more visible, by adding tile or something? Anyone have thoughts on deep end bench placement, design? Safety concerns?

Thanks again,
Jim

Yes, I saw your thread as well. Did you make a decision on the spa/hot tub?
Leaning towards the Spa which means I think I’ve convinced my wife that aesthetic have always been important to her(Italian Princess) with other projects so why should this be any different. Plus the space that the stand alone would take has already been allocated in her mind for other things she wants. Going to make a PB decision this week.

JJ
In regards to the depth, seems like most suggest 4’ shallow end and we agree with having a good size shallow end to hang out in. Deep end would like to be deep enough for kids to jump in so maybe 6’, could go deeper but not sure if we need to if we don’t have a diving board which we won’t?

Good idea with making the bench in deep end more visible, by adding tile or something? Anyone have thoughts on deep end bench placement, design? Safety concerns?

Thanks again,
Jim
My pool is roughly the same size. Here is the the picture of our deep end benches. They are two levels so you can stand or sit. The deeper bench could have been 6" deeper. I do love them though. I highly recommend either spotter tiles or a row of 1" tiles on all benches. I might recommend turning the ledge to be lengthwise which would leave you with a nice wide swim lane area. Sometimes when folks try to make a ledge along the shallow end and also a swim lane, the result is an awkward looking area next to the ledge.

My pool is roughly the same size. Here is the the picture of our deep end benches. They are two levels so you can stand or sit. The deeper bench could have been 6" deeper. I do love them though. I highly recommend either spotter tiles or a row of 1" tiles on all benches. I might recommend turning the ledge to be lengthwise which would leave you with a nice wide swim lane area. Sometimes when folks try to make a ledge along the shallow end and also a swim lane, the result is an awkward looking area next to the ledge.

Thank you for the feedback and pic. I was thinking the same with the tanning ledge.
Trying to decide if a bench similar to yours is best or a swim out type. I like the idea of having a bench on both sides of the deep end. Does anyone get ladders anymore?

Thanka,
Jim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.