UPDATE- Got new Ozone Generator- Bullfrog Spa leaking at Ozone Generator when power is Off

tnthudson

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2008
Central VA
Hello again, I had a thread earlier about the GFCI to my Bullfrog Spa tripping (it's a new spa), and I am still waiting for my LPB to check it out- not entirely their fault, I put them off due to sickness.
At any rate, when the GFCI trips lately I've noticed that if it's off for any length of time, I see leakage around my spa.
I took the front cover off once again and saw that it appears that the Ozone Generator is leaking up at the top (where I'm pointing with the screwdriver, the clear looking little cover).
When I turn the power back On, the leak stops immediately from what I can tell.
Is that normal? Or am I looking at a bad Ozone generator?
Thanks as always.IMG_4778.jpg

BravoRomeo

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 15, 2012
San Juan Islands, WA
That's the air inlet, and there should never be water coming out, only air sucking in when the pump (or optional circulator pump) is running. I would think that is a failed check valve on the other side that is supposed to prevent water from backing up into the ozone generator. If water backs up into it, it shorts out the Corona Discharge cells (there are two in series) that generate the ozone from ambient air. That should trip the GFCI since the water is a path to ground. Probably a warranty claim given a new tub. Over time those check-valves can fail, so they're an item to regularly inspect. Ozone gas is pretty hard on plastics.

On this system, the other source for a little bit of water pooling in the bottom of the cabinet is the discharge tube from the Ozone destruction activated carbon cartridge. The tube coming out the bottom of that was just hanging out on the cabinet floor. Although the floor is plastic, I didn't like the idea of even a little bit of condensate inside the cabinet, so drilled a hole and routed it out the bottom of the cabinet. I don't ever want to look inside the equipment bay and have to sort out between normal and abnormal water puddles... plus that would add to humidity levels inside the cabinet where the ozonator gets its ambient air from... moist air is not conducive to making ozone.

Last edited:
Reactions: tnthudson

tnthudson

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2008
Central VA
Thanks! And I love the idea of drilling the hole and routing the discharge through there, I have noticed some water coming from there sometimes.

phonedave

May 30, 2012
Montville NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
I think you just found the cause of your tripping breaker too.

You said the breaker never trips when you are using the spa. The ozone generator does not run when you are using the spa - if you do anything from the control panel - turn on lights, jets, music, etc the spa assumes you are in it and it does not generate ozone.

When the spa runs jet pump 1, or the circulator pump either because it is calling for heat, or because it is in a filter cycle, then it triggers the ozone generator.

If your backflow valve is leaking, and now your discharge plates are shorting, that will trip the GFCI.

If it is a very slow leak, it would not be enough to trip things when they wet tested it at the factory, After a long enough time, it got enough water in it to start causing the breaker trip when the generator cycles on.

tnthudson

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2008
Central VA
IMG_4786.jpg

OK, so my LPB was able to come out and did apparently agree with the assessments in this thread that the Ozone Generator was bad in my new Bullfrog Spa. If you look at the first entry in this thread, you can see that they replaced it with a different brand. Is there any reason this would not be good?
I told the lady that morning to ask them to bring out an Ozone Generator, since mine was leaking pretty bad by that time, so I'm assuming this was all they had. They didn't discuss it with my wife and I was at work; they just showed up and switched it out.
The good news is, the breaker isn't tripping any more, so thank ya'll for all the help!

phonedave

May 30, 2012
Montville NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
View attachment 336757

OK, so my LPB was able to come out and did apparently agree with the assessments in this thread that the Ozone Generator was bad in my new Bullfrog Spa. If you look at the first entry in this thread, you can see that they replaced it with a different brand. Is there any reason this would not be good?
I told the lady that morning to ask them to bring out an Ozone Generator, since mine was leaking pretty bad by that time, so I'm assuming this was all they had. They didn't discuss it with my wife and I was at work; they just showed up and switched it out.
The good news is, the breaker isn't tripping any more, so thank ya'll for all the help!

Bullfrog states that their EOS generator puts out 100 mg/hr - that is across all tubs. It is a blanket statement - 100 mg/hr 880 ppm (20 cfh)

It's hard to determine what model Del Ozone generator that is, but most of the Del Ozone generators state 50 - 70 mg/hr

A Bullfrog EOS generator is also $350+ while the Del Ozone is about $150

So two questions - does your tub actually use more than 70 mg / hr of Ozone. Remember any extra ozone is destroyed in the charcoal canister. If it does, then I would ask for the Bullfrog EOS unit.

If 70 mg / hr is enough, the question is, does this matter to you. In my opinion, an under warranty repair should use OEM parts. If I take my car in under warranty and it needs a transmission, I want a new manufacturer transmission, not a third party compatible one. (that is also much cheaper). It looks like your dealer replaced the OEM part with a cheaper one on a warranty repair. If this was a repair you were paying for, I would expect them to present the two options and let you choose. But for a warranty repair (that is likely billed back to Bullfrog) I would expect an OEM part.

RDspaguy

In The Industry
Mar 21, 2020
Cabool, Mo
In the current situation it may be a case of using what you can get. There are supply issues all over the industry from covid. Bullfrog might even be sending those out as a warranty replacement.

Reactions: jimmythegreek

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

phonedave

May 30, 2012
Montville NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
In the current situation it may be a case of using what you can get. There are supply issues all over the industry from covid. Bullfrog might even be sending those out as a warranty replacement.

That is true too - never thought of that.

My spa dealer said he has 8 or 9 Bullfrogs on back order from the factory, because the factory is waiting on subwoofers so they can complete the build - otherwise the tubs are completed. My dealer said, he told Bullfrog to ship them without the subwoofers and when they get them in, he will have his tech install them at his own cost.

He said he has a lot of upset customers waiting months for tubs, and he would rather deliver one now, without a subwoofer, and then fix it later, than have a customer wait an other 3 -4 months.

That may very well be the only ozone generator that the dealer could get at this time.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.