Unplug terminal from IntelliChlor when adding salt?

ok.

If for any reason it needs to be shut off, just a matter of unplugging the cord from the transformer power unit (the cord from the IC40 Cell) ?

(edit: read manual, it says to disconnect power, then unplug)

benavidescj said:
Strannik said:
you need to turn it off if you add salt to skimmer basket to avoid damage from high salt concentrations

How does high salt concentration damage the SWG?

overloads the transformer

if you dump lots of salt in the skimmer basket the salt concentration in the pipes and conductivity of water increases almost immediately and becomes very high, so cell starts drawing lots of current.

if the unit doesn't have overload protection - the transformer is guaranteed to burn out. if there is overload protection - you might be lucky and it might turn the unit off before the damage is done.

If you are adding salt for the first time (large amounts), turn if off for a day. If you are adding maint amounts (a bag) you can leave it alone. The unit is easy enough to turn off, the manufacturer tells you to turn it off, what could be easier?

With the iC 40, you shouldn't unplug the cell from the box unless the power to the box is turned off. In other words, if there are any lights on, don't unplug the cell.

And i would never add salt to the skimmer. If any manufacturer suggests doing that in print, i'd like to see it.

adding it to skimmer basket allows it to dissolve faster

i wasn't aware that any manufacturers actually tell you where exactly to put salt.
some tell you not to put it in the skimmer box, probably to prevent what i have described above from happening

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
susa said:
interesting replies.

how about pre-dissolving the salt in a large plastic trashbin for a few days until liquid and then dropping that at the deep end of the pool ?

You could, but it isnt needed. Just dump it in and brush it around. In reading all your posts over the last few days, I think you have a good handle on what your doing. I aslo think that you are overthinking some of this a little bit. For a new pool owner, that usually happens. Try to relax and just go with it. :wink:

What BK said..I just walk around the pool in the evening and pour the salt around the perimeter...it's dissolved by the morning...and that's using water softener salt which is much coarser than pool salt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.