Units for AG vs. IG pools

Aug 18, 2012
Sacramento CA
If the unit has a real, standard PVC connections (I can buy unions, if need be), does it matter that the mfg says "only for AG". or is that simply a means to say "if you're rich enough to own an IG, you pay 2x the price"?

Given that the units are installed immediately before the return goes underground. I don't see pressure being an issue.

Real concern, or just a way of improving profit margin?

I assume you're talking about swcg's. Some equipment is designed specifically for aboveground pools due to the placement of the cell and the lack of a flow switch. With those type cells you can't place them inline in an inground pool. However if it's a standard cell and flow switch then it's probably just a marketing gimmick.

Bama is correct, as long as there is a flow switch you should be fine.

The "IG" and "AG" function exactly the same way but the non-flow switch AG models need to be mounted vertically right before the jet. The reason I was told was so that some type of byproduct that is created from the cell is able to escape immediately making the switch unnecessary. If that factoid is wrong, please let me know.

It may not have the same effect. If the pump is running but it's not pumping water thru the cell for whatever reason, hydrogen gas will build up in the cell from the electrolysis and could produce an explosive atmosphere. That's the reason for the flow switch.

As for the jet, it's the return port where water returns to the pool from the pump. Some above ground units rely on the cell being right at the return jet therefore having no place for the gases to build up. Rather they escape right out the jet as soon as they're generated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.