Unions or rubber couplers?

Salpal

Jul 28, 2017
Tresckow, PA
Hey!

I'm looking into cutting the pvc running from my pool to the pump and then again from the filter to the pool.

My ultimate goal is being able to disconnect everything in the fall and move it indoors for the winter but I'd like it to be as simple as possible while still being good and secure. I figure this would also be useful down the line should I ever need to replace the pump or filter.

What's the best way to do this? I figure a union would probably be best but a rubber coupler would probably be easiest. What do you think?

Thanks

uxbridgechris

Bronze Supporter
Jan 25, 2018
uxbridge, Ontario Canada
When u say rubber coupler I think you mean the fernco style. Never really thought about those for pool work but they would certainly work. Having used them quite a bit over the years, I don’t think they would be the “easiest”. I picture unions being easier. Unions will get you more style points for sure.

Salpal

Jul 28, 2017
Tresckow, PA
When u say rubber coupler I think you mean the fernco style. Never really thought about those for pool work but they would certainly work. Having used them quite a bit over the years, I don’t think they would be the “easiest”. I picture unions being easier. Unions will get you more style points for sure.
Yeah, that's exactly what I meant.

I think I'm settled on unions. I was leaning that direction anyways and can kinda feel this thread pushing that way too.

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
You can get slip repair couplings that slide over the pipe and have large rubber rings and compression nuts on both ends. They're rated for full pressure. Fernco's are not pressure rated.

Other Threads of Interest