Uneven Pressure Jets in my Spa

mmcwhorter

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 13, 2015
Huntingtown, MD
I have an elevated overflow spa with a "Pressure Imbalance" problem... The spa has four returns. I believe they are 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 ID diameter PVC pipes, and these PVC pipes are cut off flush with the spa walls. There is a pressure balance issue. When the Spa is run in "closed-loop mode" (no flow into the pool) one of the four returns, farthest from the pump, has virtually no output. The next pipe return closest to the pump is noticeable, decent, but not as strong as the two closest to the pump, which work well. Seems to me I have seen pipe inserts with threaded connections that can be mated to the existing spa return pipe...that have adjustable size screw-on "eyeballs" that can be screwed on to the newly installed threaded insert. Various size eyeball openings allow for back pressure to be created, thus evening out the flow across all four. I have not been able to find such a product, call it an adapter I guess. Any ideas? I would think I can simply use PVC cement, and push it in till the back of the threaded male flange is flush with the spa wall. The threaded female cap would screw on and allow for different size eyeballs to be installed.

Usually when there is an imbalance in spa jet output it is due to a blockage in the water line. You may have to remove the jet nozzles that are deep in the spa wall with a long socket wrench to flush out the debris.

Actually, when I put freeze plugs in 2 of the 4 spa return lines.....the other two work really well. No blockage in the one that is very low water pressure when freeze plugs removed. It's a design imbalance, and since I have a 2 HP pump/motor it seems to me the spa should really be blasting. Same as happens in poorly designed HVAC ducting. I found the "inserts" I was looking for. Seems like a simple solution. Install Hayward SP1421D inserts (or equivalent). Looks like you simply glue them into the ID of the 1 1/2" PVC line that is flush with the Spa wall using PVC cement. Allows for adjustable eye sockets. This should create enough back pressure to even out all four jets. This model has 3/4' diameter holes in the eye balls....but you can get 1/2" and 1"....and I saw other sizes too. I'll start with 3/4" and may have to adjust the eye sizes. After market units are 5 for $12...wow, a great deal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.