Understanding FC with a SWG

May 12, 2017
S. E Michigan
I checked my FC today and it was at 9.8, which seems high to me, no?

My pool was put up about 3ish weeks ago now and I am running a SWG about 6 hours a day. When I initially started up my pool I did a target of 80 for my CYA with granules in a sock....

Is this high? If I am understanding pool school correctly, my FC should be at a 6 for a SWG pool. Am I running my SWG too long?

Pool is clean and clear and PH is perfect. My pool is in direct sun all day and we sometimes cover it with a solar cover at night.

Somewhere in the 6-9 range would be ideal. On the high side, the pool is safe to use all the way up to shock level, which in your case is 30. You should never let you FC drop below 4. So that is a long way of saying that, although you are slightly on the high side you are just fine. But, you could trim the run time a bit and see what happens, if you like, just a little at a time though.

A,

Most SWCG's have a percent of output adjustment, but some do not...

You normally adjust the amount of chlorine they produce by adjusting the percent of output and/or the amount of time they are run..

SWCG's have no idea of the amount of FC in the pool. They have no internal brain. You are the SWCG's brain. You need to test your FC, and when high, reduce the amount of chlorine the SWCG is producing, or if low, increase the amount of chlorine they are producing.

With a CYA of 80 you are safe to swim with an FC of 30 or so... So 9.8 ppm of FC is really not big deal...

What I find is that I continually have to adjust my output as the days get longer and then reduce the output in the fall as the days get shorter.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I run my SWG at 100%, 100% of the time. Based on the season, I adjust the time the SWG runs.

I test frequently and note the FC and SWG run time on a dedicated calendar. The following year I used that data to guide me for the current year.

I can usually find an average for the month and set it on the first day and not adjust it until the first day of the following month.

An Intex doesn't have adjustable output. You adjust by run time. I would start by shaving 1/2 hour. Better to be on the safe side. Where you are now is just fine, and just a bit of extra sun or any extra use of the pool will drop that number in a hurry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.