Underlayment or concrete pad or flashing or .....

Jul 9, 2017
Alto, MI
Have a 28' above ground pool. We are having some trouble with the ground underneath being very soft it seems and getting lots of wrinkles, holes, dips, etc in the liner. Causing lots of work and upkeep in trying to keep it clean as nothing seems to get the dirt out of the little pockets and divots. This has so far only caused one minor pin hole that I have been able to patch.

I believe the ground is soft but also part of the problem seems to be the moles in our yard tend to want to burrow under the pool as well potentially. I've always heard the weight/pressure would keep them out of under there, but I don't seem to think that is actually the case or true.

Given all of that, I am thinking it is time to start over with the liner and try to get things "reset". Wondering if in doing that it makes sense to put a concrete pad underneath it with some sort of rubber or vinyl underlayment between concrete and the vinyl or some other suggestion to ensure a flat smooth bottom. I saw somewhere else someone mentioned going down 18" and using flashing all the way around to prevent the critters from getting under.

Any suggestions or recommendations or experiences from anyone?

Greatly appreciate any help!

I am getting great results from the gopher fence I installed. It's been at least a year (maybe two?) and no gophers have penetrated it. It goes down 2'. It also is 1' above ground because gophers walk around at night. You'd have to check to see if moles do that, to determine if any above ground is needed. Your flashing might work, but my fence has shelves that I think make a difference, and don't wall off the soil (is that good or bad?). Have a look, let me know if you want any more details. (Ha, I knew that post would come in handy one day!!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.