Under Construction in NJ - waiting on patio

ummm, there is the hole.. I would think it is a good bet it is leaking from there... not sure how they do installs so I am not sure if this is normal...

That’s what I’m thinking @cowboycasey. Since it’s on both sides I was wondering if there was maybe a reason for putting the small pieces there but I’m thinking they screwed up one side and did the same on the other side since it seems I’m the only customer who inspects their work.

Finally filling with water and looks like I may have more problems. There is a spot under the fiberglass stairs that seems to be leaking.

Think this is a crack in the stairs or did they mess up putting the liner in the track along the bottom?

Anybody know how the PB should address this before backfill?
Do you have a panned out view of these? Its hard to tell what orientation the pics are in conjunction to the stairs themselves

I can’t make out where you think you see a patch - however, if there is a patch there i suspect that you should have they rip the liner out and put a new one in

Do you have a panned out view of these? Its hard to tell what orientation the pics are in conjunction to the stairs themselves
Here are some panned out photos. The patches are in the bottom corners of the stair track. The leak is on the left side only (looking from behind the stairs)

Attachments

• F4E97618-2BEC-4DB8-9D92-9C97F429FE38.jpeg
    F4E97618-2BEC-4DB8-9D92-9C97F429FE38.jpeg
    797.2 KB · Views: 71
  • E19915DD-2E4B-425F-8DBB-7A423C827616.jpeg
    E19915DD-2E4B-425F-8DBB-7A423C827616.jpeg
    863.2 KB · Views: 70
It is weird - the stair gasket and trim, as far as i know, goes in over the liner then the opening is cut along the inside of the trim - for there to be patches there they either re-did it or anticipated issues? What part of the scrap liner were the patches cut from - that might tell you what point in time the patches were cut

It is weird - the stair gasket and trim, as far as i know, goes in over the liner then the opening is cut along the inside of the trim - for there to be patches there they either re-did it or anticipated issues? What part of the scrap liner were the patches cut from - that might tell you what point in time the patches were cut
It was cut from the big piece of scrap from the stairs. I wasn’t here when they cut the liner. Ill have to review my cameras and see how they did it.

I wouldnt think from where that water is coming from there was a crack in the stairs, look like its most definitely an issue with the liner install. I would stop filling the pool and get them out there asap, chances are that you will have to drain that water right back out for them to fix it.

Looks like they cut the patches before installing the track and cutting the liner. Not sure why. However, they did all that without any water in the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wouldnt think from where that water is coming from there was a crack in the stairs, look like its most definitely an issue with the liner install. I would stop filling the pool and get them out there asap, chances are that you will have to drain that water right back out for them to fix it.
Yes, I stopped filling it as soon as I noticed. Is it possible for them to fix it properly without a new liner? Seems like if they have to remove it from the track or drain the pool completely it’s going to be shot.

Yes, I stopped filling it as soon as I noticed. Is it possible for them to fix it properly without a new liner? Seems like if they have to remove it from the track or drain the pool completely it’s going to be shot.
I would push for a new line mostly because you are paying a ton of money for this one with a patch in it.

Reactions: Newdude
I would push for a new line mostly because you are paying a ton of money for this one with a patch in it.
So I sent a pretty aggressive email this morning demanding a new liner as I didn’t agree to a patched one. They immediately responded (which has not been the case so far) and said they would have the installer out there to see what’s going on. I told them the owner should come as well as the original installer is not going to acknowledge his own mistakes and that I need something in writing explaining why the patches were used. The owner responded that they are not patched but just reinforcement pieces. I’m not a PB so I don’t know if that’s true or not.

I’m going to email Latham and explain how it was installed with the “reinforcement patches” and see if that will affect the warranty at all. Contract also has a five year labor warranty on the liner but I can’t see myself ever calling this company again once pool is finished.

So I sent a pretty aggressive email this morning demanding a new liner as I didn’t agree to a patched one. They immediately responded (which has not been the case so far) and said they would have the installer out there to see what’s going on. I told them the owner should come as well as the original installer is not going to acknowledge his own mistakes and that I need something in writing explaining why the patches were used. The owner responded that they are not patched but just reinforcement pieces. I’m not a PB so I don’t know if that’s true or not.

I’m going to email Latham and explain how it was installed with the “reinforcement patches” and see if that will affect the warranty at all. Contract also has a five year labor warranty on the liner but I can’t see myself ever calling this company again once pool is finished.
Yeah, thats a tough one. It sucks to not be able to count on a warranty for a brand new expensive pool. I would let them try to diagnose first. Maybe its just a bad gasket seating and all will be well. Do you happen to know exactly where they put that small square piece of liner? I thought they patched the actual liner itself somewhere.

Since it looks like its leaking from 2 spots maybe it just is a faulty gasket or not so good install. I know the liners are pretty Dang tough, I watched them stretch mine pretty good.

my suggestion is to arm yourself with as much info as possible but take a deep breath and let them come out and take a look. Don't put them on the defensive too much - when they are there -especially if the owner comes - just be calm a conversational. Don't let your mind jump to the worst case scenario. It is possible that they do double up the liner to reenforce it (but i am not sure why that would be needed). You just want a non leaking liner and one that is installed and will perform as expected for its useful life, and that is the point you want to make to these guys.

I've seen this done by others. They add a layer over that bottom corner for extra support. Often used when dry setting a liner. The best way is to vacuum and start filling the pool. Then come back when liner reaches just under stairs then cut them in. That is a wet set. It only really happens when filling with a truck or replacement liner with a bladder system.

I have seen 2 stairs in my time leak from bad factory gasket track. Under the groove strip there is a gasket sealing it to the stairs. The liner is then sandwiched with the opposing groove and screws, then iner cut, and the finish trim installed. The top groove needs to seal completely edge to edge. Looks a little short in your pic. That can do it. The other thing is they used way too little concrete under the stairs in my eyes. I fill up to 3rd step. It's so hard to compact under there. Nothing worst than hollow steps

I've seen this done by others. They add a layer over that bottom corner for extra support. Often used when dry setting a liner. The best way is to vacuum and start filling the pool. Then come back when liner reaches just under stairs then cut them in. That is a wet set. It only really happens when filling with a truck or replacement liner with a bladder system.

I have seen 2 stairs in my time leak from bad factory gasket track. Under the groove strip there is a gasket sealing it to the stairs. The liner is then sandwiched with the opposing groove and screws, then iner cut, and the finish trim installed. The top groove needs to seal completely edge to edge. Looks a little short in your pic. That can do it. The other thing is they used way too little concrete under the stairs in my eyes. I fill up to 3rd step. It's so hard to compact under there. Nothing worst than hollow steps
Thanks for the response @jimmythegreek and everyone else.

The PB is a huge d-bag and basically told me I don't know what I'm talking about and I shouldn't be talking to others, I should be coming to them with concerns. I told him last time I did it took 3 weeks and countless emails and phone calls to get a call back from the owner. He ended up coming out on Sunday to take a look and we made amends and he promised to have it fixed on Monday and scheduled backfill for Thursday. Well as you may have guessed they no-showed Monday and Tuesday and ignored my calls and emails until I sent an email mid-day on Wednesday stating the course of action I would be taking if they continued to ignore my communications and refusing to finish the pool (consumer complaint->hiring another company to finish ->recouping damages in court -> truthful reviews everywhere). I got a response within 10 minutes telling me someone will be there within the hour.

The installer (who couldn't be nicer) came out yesterday explained the reasons for the reinforcements in the corners and basically said the same thing that Jimmy did. The only thing that doesn't make sense is that they could have done a wet install since they came late at night and had me fill the pool to the shallow end over night and came back the next day to cut the returns, skimmers, and light. Anyway, he took the cover piece off the gasket and there was a screw missing. However that hole was right next to another screw which makes me think they messed up putting the gasket on initially. Anyway he put another screw in and tightened the rest and we started filling and it looked like that fixed the problem. However I checked this morning and the back of the stairs are wet again in that same spot.

I’m guessing there is a hairline crack in the stairs, but even if that were the case water would still have to be getting past the gasket, right?

The installer gave me his cell and told me to text him this morning if it's leaking, which I did but I'm not sure he's going to come as I had it out with the owner last night after he told me he had to push backfill until next week. We are already beyond the end date specified in the contract (45 working days from dig to patio poured). He gave me some ******** about rain days not counting despite installing half my pool in the rain. Given the owner's response to my concerns and his nonchalant attitude I don't really see a way forward with this PB and I really don't trust him to do anything else. Last night when I thought the leak was fixed, I was fine with that and figured I would just backfill myself and maybe even do it the right way with clean stone. But now that I see the leak isn't fixed, I'm guessing I need to call another pool company to come out and assess the situation.

I can't imagine any reputable PBs looking for extra work right now, nevermind something with so many red flags and potential liabilities. Anyone have any advice on how I should move forward?

You definitely have a leak somewhere. Are you sure this is not from somewhere else? Sprinkler, water line break, ground water. You can check your water meter to ensure it is not running to check the first two. The PB seems to only respond to legal action, but the quality of work and lack of responsibility is the real issue. You are in a bad place because as you stated, getting a reputable installer/builder to fix this will be hard. Have you tried the manufacturer? Maybe they can put pressure on the builder To do the right thing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.