Ultratemp ScreenLogic Fail

SactoPool

May 26, 2021
Sacramento
Hello,

I have recently installed screen logic on an easytouch 2 4p system. I was hoping to control our newly installed Ultratemp 120q. I have everything wired up and our ultratemp is set to remote rs485. I have configured the screen logic as "solar, solar using heat pump, and ultratemp" clicked on page 3 of 5. On the main screen I'm getting heat mode as heat pump only but it saying "pool heat status: off" and the heat pump will not come on despite setting desired temp above current pool temp. The ultratemp screen has a "heartbeat" asterix and is on, but stating "pool idle" so not sure what to make of that.

I'm not sure if I have to setup a specific heat circuit or if somehow I've messed things up. Originally my pool (no spa) had a spa circuit and I'm not sure why. I have moved the spa circuit to not used. We only have a pool with a booster pump cleaner and a light. Not very complicated. We now have pool circuit and cleaner circuit. Not sure if I'm explaining this correctly. I've attached screen shots.

Help!Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 2.52.17 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-26 at 2.52.09 PM.png

Others will chime in...

Did you set the address on the outside EasyTouch panel and on the heater, under settings verify the Heat Pump Comms settings, verify that Solar is set to Heat Pump? Did you set up a Solar circuit and make sure the pump speed will activate the heater, mine needs 1500rpms.

Last edited:
Only alert I'm getting is for solar temp. I don't have solar so there is no temp probe. It registers 225 F. I can't think that the system is seeing that as "pool temp" and not firing the heater given that pool temp on the screen logic is registering below what I am setting the heat temp to.

I'm running pool and cleaner at high speed (1900 and 2650) as they required that with the added piping for the heat pump. I'm not getting the "low pressure" alarm/alert on the heat pump. It's almost as if the intelitouch isn't sending the right signal.

When I check diagnostics on the heater it says that the coms are working. I considered maybe that I had not set the address correctly on the rs485 (I wired it and never changed the address) but I'm getting the asterix on the heat pump so it seems they are connected. Perhaps I need to change the address? It says default is #1 for address on rs485 control. I can change that on the heat pump but will intellitouch automatically pick that up?

My gut says that the heat pump isn't getting the signal because of some setting on screenlogic. It may be that I just need to spend more time getting to know screenlogic.

Add a 10K resistor (solar temp will read around 75° when attached) to the solar temperature port on the EasyTouch board or add a wired sensor. EasyTouch does not actually use the reading to engage the heat, just looks for the resistance reading and it has to be there per the manual. Don't waste your money on a Pentair sensor, Amazon has sensors for $10, just make sure that it is a 10K version. You should be able to test this by swapping your air sensor to the solar port to see if the heater kicks in.

Is the asterisk solid or does it flash every few seconds? On the heater display does the NA for set temperature and show actual water temp?

1622110249819.png

Last edited:
Success!

I changed out the water temp probe (was cracked, not holding calibration) and added solar temp with probe left inside of low voltage raceway. The system alert went away. Now the heat pump is responding to commands. Everything's working as designed. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Reactions: panic_button
Add a 10K resistor (solar temp will read around 75° when attached) to the solar temperature port on the EasyTouch board or add a wired sensor. EasyTouch does not actually use the reading to engage the heat, just looks for the resistance reading and it has to be there per the manual. Don't waste your money on a Pentair sensor, Amazon has sensors for $10, just make sure that it is a 10K version. You should be able to test this by swapping your air sensor to the solar port to see if the heater kicks in.

Is the asterisk solid or does it flash every few seconds? On the heater display does the NA for set temperature and show actual water temp?

View attachment 338165
Will this resistor work on the intellitouch i5 + 3s board? Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.