UltraTemp ETi Hybrid Heater

kristmas

Silver Supporter
Oct 5, 2017
Mt. Airy, Maryland
Hi Everyone! I know there are many, many threads about heaters versus heat pumps and what I'm seeing is that heaters seemed to be preferred. I'm in Maryland and have a full Pentair setup with automation. However, we do NOT have natural gas, only propane (which we can easily run a line to the pool). Because we can't get NG, there seems to be no clear winner in choosing a heater or a heat pump setup. Does anybody out there have the Ultratemp Hybrid? Wondering if this could be the answer for our situation. We really want to install a heater to get those extra weekends in May and September but just can't figure out which way to go. Thoughts on this model or opinions on propane heater vs. heat pump? Thanks in advance.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Cost out a separate Heat Pump and gas heater and you may find that the UltraTemp ETI is no bargain.

I would suggest you get a HP and see how it goes for a season or two. Leave room to add a gas heater if you decide it is worthwhile.

Will you have a pool cover? Having the pool covered will make a big difference in the effectiveness of your heater.

Pentair has a Heat Pump Calculator to determine the appropriate size Heat Pump for your location. Pentair seems to do honest calculations based on the physics and efficiencies of each type of pump and energy source.

Raypak also has a Heat Pump Heater Sizing App.

To get the most accurate cost comparison you should change the default electric kwh, natural gas price, and propane price to actual prices in your area.

Reactions: RubiconValley

kristmas

Silver Supporter
Oct 5, 2017
Mt. Airy, Maryland
Thanks! I was leaning toward the HP due to the price of propane. Wish we NG, as that would be a no brained. I will check out the calculators. Not a fan of the cover for the same reasons as others...ugly and I’m lazy, haha! However, I see it as necessary and will probably invest in one. Our pool is freeform so that makes it a bit of a pain. But I’m sure the heat retention is worth it. I think I read that a HP requires its own breaker? I think that will end up being most of the cost.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Heat pump needs around a 50 amp breaker depending on the size of the HP. It also requires you to run your pump for most of the day and night as the HP generates small amounts of heat slowly. You want to get the pool up to the desired temperature and then let the HP maintain that temperature. That is where the pool cover reduces the heat that the HP needs to replace.

Reactions: kristmas
Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.