Ugh, advice? Looks like no swimming for the 4th of July

May 12, 2017
S. E Michigan
I had to SLAM after last weekend with a pool full of kids and heat. Our pool got cloudy and the temp has been up to 90 degree. I noticed some coloring on the bottom and started SLAM. However, my Taylor reagant R-0871 is almost empty now from testing every hour and there are no pool places within 50 miles of me that carry it! With the holiday, I will not be able to get it to continue SLAM.

Is there any other Reagent I can use? I'm so bummed to not be able to use the pool for the holiday. I can attend to it literally all day today and tomorrow but I suppose that does not do me any good if I cant measure it to keep at shock level.

Advice anyone? :(

Sorry to hear that. Where exactly do you live in SE Michigan? If it's anywhere near Toledo you can PM me and I might be able to get you some but it would involve driving another 20 miles south of Toledo and getting here before 3 pm.

Assuming that isn't in the cards, best to stretch your dosing to every 3-4 hours (in the future unless the pool is a swamp 3-4 hours is plenty often for testing and dosing). You can also try using a 5 ml sample to get a 1 ppm/drop FC reading. Less precise but better than nothing.

Im not very close to Toledo, I am in St. Clair Shores. We have lots of pool stores by us but the one that does carry it is all out. I can order a bottle from Amazon, but it would end up sitting in the heat all day as I will be gone the day of Delivery. The pool is not a swamp, very close to passing OCLT. For the last day I have been testing every hour. Its been exhausting lol.

So you can see the bottom of the pool?

- - - Updated - - -

And what are your test results this morning. Include your most recent CYA test.

A full set, no. I tested my FC and PH and CYA before I started my SLAM. Last night at midnight my FC reading was at 16.5 and according to my CYA level, my shock is 16. The CC was 1. At 7:30am this morning, the FC was at 14.5 so I added Bleach to bring it up. I then tested 2 hours later and it was 14.5 again and added again. I was testing every hour, but I am just trying to stretch my testing. I have a 2oz bottle of the R-0871 but maybe only about an OZ or so left. The pool is not a swamp. I can see the bottom and some what I assume dead algae at the bottom in little "sweeping" patterns. When I vacuumed last night it definitely stirred up the pool and it was much more cloudy. Its almost that cloudy bluish green color.

- - - Updated - - -

CYA was at 40
PH 7.8
FC midnight was 16.5 with a CC of 1
FC 7:30 am 14.5 added bleach
FC 9:30am 14.5 added bleach

So you can see the bottom of the pool?

- - - Updated - - -

And what are your test results this morning. Include your most recent CYA test.

Use a 5 ml sample for FC testing. Each drop accounts for 1 ppm FC. With half a bottle left of reagent you have lots of tests left.

I see no issue in using the pool tomorrow. Test in the AM and let the FC be just under SLAM for the day. Raise it back once you are done using the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

At this stage only test and dose every 3 hours or so.

Thank you! One more question...how sensitive is this stuff to heat? I need to order more, but the holiday delivery window it would be sitting in its amazon box for some time, not direct sunlight but its definitely hot out. Would this be ok? Or do I not risk it.

And excuse my math ignorance, but with each drop accounting for 1ppm now, I am simply just counting the drops to get my FC number and not cutting in in half (.5) like I do with the 10ml sample? SHoudl I still do the 10ML sample for the OCLT?

Use a 5 ml sample for FC testing. Each drop accounts for 1 ppm FC. With half a bottle left of reagent you have lots of tests left.

I see no issue in using the pool tomorrow. Test in the AM and let the FC be just under SLAM for the day. Raise it back once you are done using the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

At this stage only test and dose every 3 hours or so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.