Two Speed Pump Tripping on Thermal Overload?

JDPayne84

Oct 5, 2020
St. Petersburg, Florida
New to TFP, but have been stalking a fair bit. Just bought a new house with SunTouch automation and the 6 year old pool equipment has been fighting me and I have another issue. After a recent rain storm, the GFCI breaker for the pump motor was tripped (no biggy as this is the second time in the last month). Gave it a few hours and then it turned on and ran fine. After a few minutes, realized it wasn't pumping. Walk over to the pad and the motor would kick on, run for a little bit then shut off. Wait 30-60 seconds and it kicks on for few second and then kicks back off. I believe it is tripping on thermal overload (motor very hot and a little bit of the magical smoke came out - hoping it was just super hot and didn't fry the windings). The centrifugal switch in the back engages when I kick the motor on. I have a start capacitor on the way, arrives tomorrow. The one I have is 161mF (-0 to +20%) and I measured it at 150, so it's a little weak. I'm suspecting the windings are toast but I am having troubles locating how to test those on a two speed pump. I am fairly proficient with electrical, so I just need a little bit of help to get me going. I have attached some pictures on my pad, the motor label and the rear of the motor.

Thanks all!!!

P.S. How does one get the low speed to run on this darn SunTouch controller??!?!? Manual is terrible.

Attachments

• IMG_8991.JPG
    IMG_8991.JPG
    573.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9212.JPG
    IMG_9212.JPG
    343.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9220.JPG
    IMG_9220.JPG
    399.8 KB · Views: 17
JD,

To have control over a two speed pump, you must have a special 2-speed relay attached to the Aux 3 relay port.

I think that the 2-speed relay is optional, so you might want to open the SunTouch and check to see what the Aux 3 relay looks like. A 2-speed relay will have twice as many connections as the Aux 1 and 2 relays have..

Let us know what you find..

Thanks,

Jim R.

@Jim, pretty sure that I have the 2 speed relay. Attached a photo for reference.

@JamesW, not sure where the two bare spots in the insulation are that you are referring to. If you're talking about the bottom right of the centrifugal switch, there are female spade connectors that attach to the switch.

Attachments

• IMG_9201.JPG
    IMG_9201.JPG
    391.1 KB · Views: 6
img_9220-jpg.164873

Bottom yellow wire has two cuts in the insulation.

@Jimrahbe - Do you know if I need to assign Aux 3 to a circuit or to a pump?

@JamesW - Attached photo shows the yellow wire that I think you are referring to. The stripped insulation is just so they can connect to a spade connector.

The new capacitor arrived today which reads at 192, but unfortunately, the same exact results. Also, just check ohms and I'm reading 0 ohms between L1 (High) and A (Low), would that mean my windings are shorted to one another and my motor is shot?

Attachments

• IMG_9224.JPG
    IMG_9224.JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
JD,

I don't really know much about the SunTouch, but I'm pretty sure you have to configure the Aux 3 relay so the the SunTouch understands there is a 2-Speed relay installed in the Aux 3 slot.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.